Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Warhammer 3rd - The Edge of Night

Warhammer 3rd - The Edge of Night 7 years 8 months ago #1482

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
SWORDS FOR HIRE

With the greenskin problems at Stormdorf finally resolved, the bounties on greenskin scalps reduced and the mop up operations completed. The provisional Burgher of Stormdorf revoked hunting licenses and laid off the mercenary bands with a small bonus and message of his thanks.

Travelling the road from Stormdorf to Ubersreik in search of more work are four such mercenaries:

• Heinrik a Reiklander Initiate of Sigmar. A dour fellow with violent tendencies and a stout faith.
  • Grimvore a dwarf Ironbreaker, resplendent in his Gomeril amour and calmly dangerous.
  • Prinz Eugen a former pit fighter, sporting the scars of his trade, now turned mercenary in search of coin and prestige.

• And, perhaps the most unusual of the group:

• Orubayne a high elven warrior, wearing the scale armour his people and carrying a rapier, notable for cleaning and nursing an elegant (though broken) black powder pistol.

• Recently formed the obvious martial skills of all make them well suited to mercenary work and they have quickly achieved a mutual understanding, happy to sell their skills to those able to pay.

GREY GOOSE INN
    • As ever in the area of Stormdorf, inclement weather was the norm.
    • A late night on the road, the miles passed… Rain fell… Tempers frayed…
    • The Gray Goose Inn
    • The surly Inn keeper
    • Accommodation and a meal…
    • Deep sleep for some, stomach cramps for others
    • Things that go bump in the night.
    • Kidnapping foiled
    • Prisoners!

• After the incident, the man being kidnapped (a mid-thirties nobleman by the look of him) is carried inside along with the two henchmen. One of them is severely injured, his face has been pulverised by the Grimvore’s shield, the other has a nasty cut across his arm and torso but is unconscious presently.
    DECISION: the more seriously injured man is likely to die unless tended to. If he receives medical help, it may not suffice to save him. Do you let him die? (Note to you all, this sort of moral conundrum is likely to increase party tension unless you can agree quickly on a course of action). Party tension will increase progressively through the game.

A search of the inn, reveals the inn keeper tied up in his kitchen. He is obviously very scared.
    DECISION: Do you release him?

The man in the cart escaped on foot into the rain despite Orubayne’s athletic pursuit. You know the man to be competent as a fighter, and quick! Only Orubayne saw his face clearly. Description: about 5’10”, dark shoulder length hair tied back with a cord of leather, pale skin, pale eyes, slight build but wiry. ear ring (probably gold) in left ear. Leather armour (looked good quality), dagger in boot.

Scott mentioned the damage rules. You can probably now all see why armour is a good thing to have.

Some Armour (and shields) make you harder to hit, they increase the purple challenge dice required, so too do some actions (see your cards). Being hard to hit saves lives. Being hit repeatedly means at some point you fall over! Multiple attackers can reduce even stalwart fighters to unconsciousness quickly. Look for tactical advantages, like height cover etc. help make you harder to hit.

If you do get hit, then Soak values come into play. Your armour soak value (normally 2 or 3 for heavy armours, 0 or 1 for light, is added to your toughness, and that is the damage reduction in wounds. Example:.
    Grimvore has a 5 point soak on his exceptional armour. Its one of the best in the game. He also has 5 toughness (smart cookie), so ONLY weapons inflicting 12 points or more of damage will harm him significantly.
    For clarity, a great weapon has a damage code of 7, wielded by Prinz Eugen that makes 12 damage on a successful attack. BUT, Prinz (and the bad guys) have access to cards to improve that damage…
    Most hand weapons have a damage code of 5, and average thugs will have strength 3. The chances are they won’t do Grimvore or Orybane much damage, but all of you should be careful.

Beware magic though guys, some of it ignores armour! Also some weapons have traits that pierce armour. No one is completely safe.

Actions.

All actions that you take need to be described. If you describe an action that can be attributed to one of your action cards, then you will get the card bonuses, if not, you can still do the action but any bonuses will be just environmental ones.
    I can and will reward good/funny/heroic actions with bonus dice. Likewise, expect stupid/excessive/unreasonable actions to be penalised. You can still carry out such actions but at a penalty. or reduce the number of wounds taken at source.

Talents

Can be expended only once in a scene (which could last hours or days or multiple fights!) unless the talent says different. Use wisely!

Fortune dice

Use your fortune dice, don’t try to save them. You will pick up more through the game by good roleplaying or exceptional actions (or both). You can use team fortune dice (with the agreement of the team) ONLY if you are carrying out actions in accordance with the team ethics as stated on the card. Swords for hire may not save a helpful woman under attack in the street from charity, but they may consider such an act appropriate if it improves their reputation and helps gain employment.

If as a sword for hire, you intend to volunteer for the city militia as a group then you need to select another party card. Similarly, on occasion, a party card will be imposed upon you as a result of a particular mission or circumstances.

Rarely I will allow fortune dice to be expended to produce a ‘significant dramatic effect’, ask and you might just get!

Fortune is normally awarded to the team pool, when you get 4 points it MUST be shared out. Rarely an individual will receive a fortune die directly… this do the gods reward hero’s!

Career advances

Next week you will receive some xp. I heavily recommend you invest one point in a fortune die. These dice permanently add one fortune dice to a stat. The stat is chosen from you career sheet and must be one of the two listed. The other xp can be spent wherever, or saved until you have enough to increase a stat.

See you all next week!
    Red Wine should always be opened and allowed to breathe....

if it doesn't apply mouth to bottle resuscitation.
    Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Sarge.
    The topic has been locked.

Warhammer 3rd - The Edge of Night 7 years 8 months ago #1484

• Sarge
    Tony, I've read up Talents. When you exhaust a talent you put 4 recharge tokens on it, so it may become available again later in the scene
    Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Sarge.

Warhammer 3rd - The Edge of Night 7 years 7 months ago #1497

• Sarge
    Hi Tony, as briefly mentioned, I totally forgot about the primary stats increasing by 1. I had used creation points to increase, so if ok by you, I'll use the unused points to increase my fellowship to 4 and take another Talent.

Warhammer 3rd - The Edge of Night 7 years 7 months ago #1498

• Inept
    • Platinum Member
    that's fine. after last week I wanted to give folks a chance to change aspects of their characters, and particularly the actions. whilst I accept that fighter types will want weapon attacks there are a LOT of very good support actions that reduce damage, or increase difficulty of opponents attacks succeeding. many are these are fellowship based!!!!!

ps... thunderous blow has made an appearance!

Warhammer 3rd - The Edge of Night 7 years 7 months ago #1504

• Inept
    • Platinum Member
    Grey Goose Inn
    The kidnapping is over
    Heinrik the green fingered healer?
    One of our band is missing
    (Wee little Orubayne in his night shirt, up hill down dale and then he gets hurt…)
    Noble revealed – Lord Graf Seigifrued von Saponatheim at your service
    The lords gather and so must he!
    Accomplices tortured, what’s a finger between friends?
    The inn keeper is innocent!
    Hired guards!

Ubersriek!
    The green of the moon. Magic warps, people nervous
    Free town (no lord)
    Emperor to declare lord and remove ‘friestadt’
    Aschenfascenbergs (Lord Rickard)
    Von Holzenaurs Baron Manfred)
    Von Saponatheims (Graf Siegfried)
    A visit to the Dwarfs
    A visit to Shallya, the chaos moon’s effects
    Find the Grey tower or find only Frustration?
    The Flagellants and the mob!
    The temple of Sigmar… at least some are happy!

Outstanding issues
    The chaos moon portents
    The Grey Wizard's may have more information, but finding them....
    The Sigmarites may have more news...
    9Where the hell is Orubayne?

Warhammer 3rd - The Edge of Night 7 years 7 months ago #1527

• Inept
    • Platinum Member
    Orubayne’s story

A bad pfennig… Orubayne arrives.
    Chasing the kidnapper
    Injured in the night
    A dagger

Recuperation with the Grey Goose
    A wagon ride to Ubersreik
    A deal, find the owner of the dagger…

Back to Ubersreik

Visits to the Dwarf embassy
    The Church of Shallaya
    Imps in the street
    The Flagellants and a message from Sigmar “repent!”

Help the people…
    A visit to the docks
    RATS!

A meal with Lords Ash and Holz!
    A deal is struck…

Come join the party

A search of the grounds… all angles covered.
    Watching the crowd, the kidnapper is here!
    A quick search and no one found.

The party begins

Walking the floor.

Improper dress, a tentacled insult avoided…
    Lord Aschen becomes ill… what a lightweight!
    The priests argue, and are summarily chastised!
    Magic gone astray… the living fox stole., Grey wizard disgraced.
    Insults lead to a duel, reason triumphs…
    A drunken dukeling and the pretty elf (more beer!)

The flagellant and the Beast man mask!
    Healing the beast.

Should have stuck to the wine…

Changes.

Outstanding issues:

The kidnapper dressed as the servant
    Orubaynes' absence and insistence on tracking down the kidnapper
    What was in the ale?
    Dell's corruption save... enjoy the beer!
    Dealing with the changes

Next week is week 6. (we lost a week!), so I need you to apply a further 4 experience. This will be enough for those wanting to to transition careers.
    Normally this would involve an opportunity to roleplay and/or deal with the changes in downtime so that the new trappings are introduced seamlessly. in this case it will be necessary to accelerate that.

For Scott its really easy... he will receive the benediction of Sigmar, and will take a vow... he will then be tasked with dealing with this chaos mess!
    For Prinz there are a number of options to develop in the martial line, if you give me a ring Stew, I can sort out a new sheet based on how you want it to go!
    For Dell there are are a number of options (Andy you already looked at some of them let me know which route you prefer and what type of development you want).
    For Orubayne, you may wish to consider a number of roles that move towards your original concepts. give me a ring to discuss, I also need to 'fit you in' to the campaign for the week after next!)

Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Inept.
    Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
    Time to create page: 0.159 seconds