Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Warlock! The Enemy Within

Warlock! The Enemy Within 2 months 3 weeks ago #7064

• mikeawmids
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
The Enemy Within (Warlock!)
Session 6, 08/02/2024

Having departed Biskerstaf, the Berebeli cruises up the River Vessen and docks at the town of Weissbruck, where Cousin Josef hopes to unload some cargo.

Gustaf spots a woman on the docks, haggling for passage to the capital. He recognises her from a bounty poster as Cecilie Bentzen (the lover of Jizt, a jilted noble). The sailors get a bit handsy and Kalvin steps in to defend the wanted woman, shoving one of the boisterous bargemen into the river. Gustaf levels his crossbow at the others and they soon back down. Fritz pulls Cecilie aside and realises she is quite heavily pregnant.

Cecilie thanks the PCs for saving her.

"You're welcome." Kalvin says.

"You're nicked." Gustaf says simultaneously.

Cecilie proclaims her innocence, pleading Lord Urin of Wallbach murdered her father and is forcing her to marry his horrible son Jizt, so he can fold the village of Wurzen and the great Wurzenwood into his own lands. Her lowborn lover Peter (and the father of her unborn child) was killed breaking her out of Lord Urin's castle. Gustaf is unswayed by her sob story, but the rest of the group persuade him not to hand Cecilie in just yet, as she promises to reward them if they bring Lord Urin to justice.

The next morning, the PCs board a coach to Wallbach - or at least, they planned to. Gustaf recognises a pair of rival bounty hunters Else & Ennge Hollen watching the road. Gustaf tries sending the sisters on a wild goose chase, but they're not fooled by his BS. Instead, Adeline purchases a rickety cart and a tired old nag to pull it, and they bundle Cecilie into the back. Rather than follow the road to Wallbach, the party cut through the centre of the wild Wurzenwood.

It is hard work hauling the cart and its nobleborn occupant through the forest. Gustaf spots an enormous boar drinking from a stream and shoots it with his crossbow. The boar flees, and Gustaf gives chase. When he catches up, the boar begs Gustaf not to kill him, claiming to be Lord Urin's tax collector, transformed into a pig by the magic of a malicious old hag! Sure, he might have been trying to swindle her at the time, but you still can't go around turning people into swine! The boar - who says his name is Henrich - offers to give Gustaf the gold he skimmed from Lord Urin's coffers if he gets the witch to lift the curse. Gustaf agrees and introduces Henrich to the rest of the party.

From Henrich, the PCs learn about a group of brigands camped in a nearby cave. Lord Urin has sent patrols out searching the wood for them. The PCs decide to introduce themselves to the brigands, as they seem to share a common foe. Kalvin and Stammig meet the outlaw leader Kristen Branch, who it turns out is Peter's sister. I guess it is a small world after all! Also, it transpires that Peter is alive, and being held in Lord Urin's dungeon. Kristen recognises Cecilie immediately and agrees for her to stay in the caves while the party scout out Wallbach and find a way to infiltrate Lord Urin's castle.

TBC
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by mikeawmids.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Warlock! The Enemy Within 2 months 3 weeks ago #7070

• mikeawmids
The pre-game bant for episode 21 of Gatewalkers (Glass Cannon Podcast) talks about the pitfalls of mystery roleplaying, which I found particularly pertinent to running/playing The Enemy Within.

Warlock! The Enemy Within 2 months 2 weeks ago #7083

• mikeawmids
The Enemy Within (Warlock!)
Session 7, 15/02/2024

Kalvin remains behind with Cecilie and the brigands, while the rest of the PCs reconnoiter the fortified town of Wallbach. A queue of carts laden with fresh produce is forming outside the gate; today is market day. Visitors are charged one silver piece "for the upkeep of the walls", but the crooked guards pocket the coin. The guards are alarmed by Fritz's scaly rash, but a few more silver pieces convince them his condition isn't catching.

Kristen recommended the PCs approach the landlord of The Gifted Sheep, a man sympathetic to the brigand's cause. Rumours abound that the young Lord Jizzt visits the Polished Helm brothel most evenings, and must know of some secret route in/out of the castle.

The PCs also visit the apothecary (and alleged sorceress) Greta Lutz, to persuade her to lift the curse afflicting Henrich the tax collector. Greta agrees to do so if the party bring her soil from a child's grave, gathered on the stroke of midnight. That sounds unwholesome, but the PCs pencil some light graverobbing into their busy schedule. As the party leave the witch's shop, they bump into Lady Fannie Staynez (wife of Lord Urin, mother of Jizzt), who looks remarkably young and fresh-faced for a woman on the wrong side of sixty. The PCs are ushered out before they can eavesdrop on her conversation with the hag.

Gustaf spots Else & Ennge Hollen riding towards Lord Urin's keep. That cannot bode well.

Stammig visits the blacksmith, but the shop is closed. Lord Urin did not want the owner making swords for the brigands and forced him to move his forge to the castle compound.

Adeline approaches the keep under the pretext of looking for work. She is hired on to work in the kitchens. She meets Irmele Munser, a maid looking for her missing sister. She also encounters Lord Urin (short, barrel-chested man with a booming voice) and Captain of the Guard Curt Rottenburg (huge figure in platemail armour).

Back at the Gifted Sheep, Gustaf is cornered by the Hollen sisters, who demand to know what he is up to. Witnesses in Weissbruck saw him talking to Cecilie, but he hasn't handed the girl over to Lord Urin for the reward. Gustaf plays dumb, but the sisters aren't buying it.

That night, the PCs stake out the Polished Helm, hoping to discover the secret entrance Jizzt uses to sneak out of the castle. Several hours pass and there's no sign of their mark, leading Stammig to hypothesize the secret entrance is inside the brothel. The Hollen sisters shadow Gustaf & Co and note their interest in the whorehouse. 'Maybe that is where they have stashed Cecilie' they surmise, 'Just like the Golden Cat level in the first Dishonored game'.

The guards ring the bell for curfew, but this party have a rebellious streak and shan't have their bedtime dictated by the likes of Lord Urin. Instead, they sneak out to dig up some dead kids. Fritz picks the lock on the graveyard gate while Gustaf stands watch. As the party poke around the moonlit cemetery, they are accosted by a pair of mischievous ghost children. The spirits want to play hide & seek. Adeline and Stammig play along, but Fritz starts filling a bucket with grave dirt. Enraged, the ghost children animate their own diminutive skeletons and chase the PCs out of the graveyard.

On their way back to the tavern, the party botch their stealth rolls and blunder into an ambush by Captain Rottenburg and his men. The armoured giant arrests the PCs for breaking curfew. They are disarmed, shackled and thrown into the dungeon beneath Castle Staynez.

TBC
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by mikeawmids.

Warlock! The Enemy Within 2 months 1 week ago #7088

• mikeawmids
Hello all.

Apologies for short notice, but I have to bail on game tonight.

My kid is sick and my other half is working late. :(

Hopefully this is enough notice to prevent travel.

Mike

Warlock! The Enemy Within 2 months 1 week ago #7089

• rhodsey
  • Platinum Member
No Worries mike.

Checking if anyone else has a one shot they could run if not I'll spend a night at home remembering how to play Coriolis for next week...

Warlock! The Enemy Within 2 months 1 week ago #7090

• Count Crow
  • Tenth Level
No worries Mike, hope all is well, thanks for running a great game, I've really enjoyed it.
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds