Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Book of the Dead

Book of the Dead 6 years 11 months ago #2098

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
a place for Aeygyptian happenings... beware the curse of the mummy....
Red Wine should always be opened and allowed to breathe....

if it doesn't apply mouth to bottle resuscitation.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Book of the Dead 6 years 11 months ago #2099

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
For 2 years I have played the part of a slave. I did it before in the Underdark for real before escaping to the surface, these stupid mortals don’t know how to treat slaves. Still I suppose “surface slave” is now a disguise I can use without much preparation.

I could have escaped of course, but to where? Local contacts, and resources are essential in my line of work, and I’ve been moved around over the last 2 years so I need to establish a new persona and a new network. This Gauntlet represents a change in my fate… find the gems to create a hand… a form of nonsense obviously, but maybe some insight into the mind of this queen?

I have no illusions that this Queen is any more benevolent than Lloth herself, but she has provided some basic tools, and the opportunity. As long as no one looks too hard I might escape this without mishap. So, How to do that?

First, these fellow runners may be suitable as companions, adversity makes strong bonds, and they appear to have skills that can be used. Additional camouflage of acting within a group is always welcome.

Second, allow them, (and the queen) to see, what I want them to see. We discussed our skills before the gauntlet run, the cleric as a spellcaster is a worthy ally, and warriors are always a welcome addition, let them see my skill with a blade, and underplay other aspects, there is no point in making the queen aware of ALL of our skills. This Gauntlet will no doubt test us and try to expose matters of use of the queen.

Third, Tests… indeed yes. Let them see the capabilities but not too much, always try to hold something in reserve…
I hate traps, I’ve always preferred duplicity rather than stealth and the years spent as a slave seem to have impaired my judgement… they have exposed a weakness and I need to pay more attention to my surroundings. Still, it doesn’t hurt to let them see failure in this regard, if I am the one springing the traps, then others are not suffering, let them think it incompetence and move on. NB: Fortunately, the cleric is a man of principle. He clearly recognises the need to work cooperatively and has provided his healing magicks without complaint. This gauntlet poses more physical dangers in the form of creatures than it does traps in any case.

Fourth capability, they send us to Ogres.. stupid creatures but tough. It succumbs to the touch of my blades. There are few who can inflict as much damage as I at close quarters. They know now that I can fight… they also know I can fall, hopefully this is in line with the expectations of all concerned. They also use undead, hoping to scare us? There is some larger plan here, but we have 4 of the 5 gems… I guess the last one will be protected by something special…

Book of the Dead 6 years 11 months ago #2126

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
The last one… endurance, they plan to weaken us by degrees, the carborundum grind of danger piled upon danger, they think us lax. I spotted the pit trap with ease despite the fatigue and the constant sense of impending doom, and the trip wire too. Both traps leading to an encounter with the afterlife, but focus on the prize… the final door.

Something is very wrong. The final approach is too easy, but there is nothing… a careful search of the area reveals nothing. My sense of unease grows, it cannot be this simple! I realise I am appearing too clever, this is a giveaway, the queen has succeeded in testing us and tempted us to reveal our skills. I pause again, looking around the area… There….! A block trap! Cunningly hidden but found! I tweak the trap, and open the door, allowing my fellows into the room beyond.

A creature of undeath awaits within, a Wight, common enough in the Underdark, and a creature of no mean power. Fortunately well placed bolts and the swords of my companions finish the creature. The final gem falls from its hand.

Combining the gems, a metamorphosis occurs and the gems become a jewelled hand with an extended finger, I sense the magic from item, subtle yet powerful.

Now we will see if the Queen will honour her word. I half expect the lift to break and end us before the final presentations. An unfortunate accident…

We step into the blazing light of day, and there is uproar, the crowd cheer or scream, guards are running to quelle some sort of revolt, a huge man of obvious skill with the blade, bids us to follow him quickly before the Queen can exact revenge. The trip from the arena, and the Gauntlet, fade into a blur of bright light and noise. We escape…

The journey is long, but uneventful. The palace we attend is a marvel of construction, graceful and yet strong, I feel the essence of magic in the very stones. It is a place of strength and power.

Entering the palace, we are greeted by a powerful Elf. Easily the oldest Elf I have ever seen. He introduces himself as Ramses III. I dimly recall something about a Pharaoh by that name. He looks at each of us, and I am instantly aware that he KNOWS me. He knows what I am, but he is not bothered by it, and apparently not interested in compromising me. He makes us an offer. Carry out a quest for him, secure items for him that will aid in slaying the Queen, and he will grant us our desires, and protect us from the Queen. He bids us sleep and refresh before deciding.

I awake clean and rested for the first time in years. My rags and other clothes, have been removed, and replaced by superior quality items. Laid out on the floor are a number of special items, a poisoners kit, thieves tools, items of the forgers trade, and most importantly, herbs and salves used in the art of disguise. My would-be benefactor knows me well. I dress, and for the first time in years I feel powerful, and potent. Such feelings will no doubt cost me. Pulling up my hood I move to meet our host, I will be accepting his offer…
The cleric has decided to go his own way, we are joined by another priest called Spider and a warrior type Ferdinand. Both appear capable. The priest is an elf, I glance briefly at Ramses, but his gaze gives nothing away. My hood and my disguise had best stay in place. Impulsive it is then!

Another pyramid. The irony of that is not lost on me. Ramses claims that an item of power is there, protected by an eye tyrant. Such beings are powerful and probably too much for us alone despite the weapons we were presented with. Each matched to the bearer. No prizes for guessing his choice for me. The crossbow is perfect, a miniature perfect item of death, it has been over 30 years since I last held one, where this Ramses got it is beyond me.

The miles slip by. Blissfully uninterrupted. That is not chance, and much more to do with the rangers and other men flanking us at distance. My senses tuned to the night pick them out with ease. Finally, we reach our destination…. The game commences, no less dangerous than the gauntlet.

The pyramid is quiet, no tracks in or out. Scouting around finds no other entrance than the one facing us. We wait. Nothing moves in or out. We wait again. still nothing. Finally we decide to enter.

The entrance way is a long dark passage into the gloom below. After bearing the harsh sun above, it is like a cool protective blanket. Maybe it is this that helped spot the spear trap on the stairs?

As the slope downwards levels out, I scout ahead. The passage opens out into a room. Guards.

A quiet conference takes place. Our access to the complex depends on silence and speed. A plan is formed and we creep quietly into place. Kuk forgive me, I touched a loose stone, and alerted those below. The sound of alarums activated changed stealth for speed. We charged. In short order, the guards were silenced, but the damage has been done.

Quickly scouting, I disarm two more traps and make my way further into the complex. Passageways lead to other doors. Suddenly a looked door behind use opens with crushing force, and the one ahead spews forth cultist warriors. The battle is short, but dangerous. My comrades seem to hesitate as I launch into a blistering series of attacks, but finally they join the frey.

The guards may be dead, but where there is one, others will follow. We can only hope that the eye tyrants thralls are compelled to stay in selected areas, or this mission may be our last.

Book of the Dead 6 years 10 months ago #2139

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
The battle is ended. No new foes appear. Gathering resource and taking a brief respite, we then venture further into the complex. Nothing stirs.

Scouting once more, the only path leads to a room with a balcony. A single guard watches from the balcony, seemly bored. A plan of attack is quickly formed. Some misdirection and a stealthy kill.

The priest takes the lead, and uses a magical compulsion to make the guard believe him a friend. He climbs up the lowered ladder, and strikes from behind, but without skill. It does however provide cover for us to mount an assault. My crossbow bolt scores a telling blow, the warrior springs gracefully onto the balcony, and launches several attacks. Our combined assault silences the powerful guard quickly and with relative quiet.

The sound of dripping water ahead seems to echo in the quiet halls. I scout the area, briefly noting a large strange room with a grid of iron over water. The place screams trap, but I find nothing. The others stare at me. Bracing myself, ready to spring aside, I dart into the room, but not quickly enough. The trap was nothing mundane, or indeed magical. The water seemed to rise and hammer down at me before I could react. The pain was brief as the world went black.

I awaken with the metallic taste of potion in my mouth. I am lying on the floor just outside the grid room, whilst my companions fight the water creature, (surely an elemental!). Our weapons do little to harm it, and it falls back into the slimy water below the grate. The warrior dances through the rooms quickly and explores the exits. Somehow this is out of character… he seems loath to move in to help one moment, and then displays no fear on another, indeed foolhardy courage! He returns having discovered a loop of passageway, with no obvious exits other than back to the grid room. We leave this trap and try the other way.

Taking the only other route, it descends into a long tunnel. A door to a shrine, some sort of teaching room opens easily. Parts of a phase spider are in mid dissection but there is no poison gland. A small covered container in the hall reveals a live spider. It springs into the attack, but despite its tactics, is slain quickly. I recover some of its foul toxin.

Moving on we find our target! The entrance to a temple heavily guarded. A quick plan involving disguise and subterfuge allows us to gain a decisive victory by separating the guards and preventing alarms being raised.

The place they are guarding however, is full of cultists. A rite is being performed with a human sacrifice.

There is no time to plan. We need to prevent the sorcery, as one we begin an assault designed to confuse, and inflict panic. Having decided to stop the ritual by killing the sacrifice, I decide to shoot at the priest, my bolt however took the young sacrificial victim in the head. He died instantly. Kuk guided my bolt I have no doubt.

The ensuing melee, of fighting and magic caused the cultists to flee, save for the priest and his acolytes. The priest is protected by powerful magics and managed to escape, but the others fell to our blades. We stopped the ritual but lost the priest. Time to consider again. we can follow the priest, or retreat unsuccessful. I vote for the priest, I dislike losing a victim…

Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds