Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Vaesen: Wicked Secrets

Vaesen: Wicked Secrets 1 year 4 months ago #6427

• mikeawmids
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
So this kicks off 05/01/2023.

Players: TheRanger, Garuda, Rhodsey, Sarge, Tom

-

In dark forests, beyond the mountains, by black lakes in hidden groves. At your doorstep. In the shadows, something stirs. Strange beings. Twisted creatures, lurking at the edge of vision. Watching. Waiting. Unseen by most, but not by you. You see them for what they really are.

Vaesen.

Welcome to the Mythic North – northern Europe of the nineteenth century, but not as we know it today. A land where the myths are real. A cold reach covered by vast forests, its few cities lonely beacons of industry and enlightenment – a new civilization dawning. But in the countryside, the old ways still hold sway. There, people know what lurks in the dark.

They know to fear it.

-

Character creation on week 1. All characters are human, and presumably Scandinavian. Here is a link to a Swedish name generator. Everyone should pick an Archetype from the list below, and ideally you should all pick a different archetype.
  • Academic
  • Doctor
  • Hunter
  • Occultist
  • Officer
  • Priest
  • Private Detctive
  • Servant
  • Vagabond
  • Writer

You should also decide if you are Young, Middle Aged or Old. This will have a mechanical effect on how points are distributed between core attributes and individual skills.

You will also have to pick a Trauma (previous exposure to the Vaesen/occult that has given you the power to see Vaesen) and Dark Secret. There are suggestions listed for each archetype in the book, but if you have your own ideas then drop me a PM.

In addition to the main investigative thrust of the game, you also gain ownership of a crumbling castle in the city of Upsala, which acts as a homebase between missions. You will have the opportunity to rebuild the castle to gain various perks, but the amount of time dedicated to this aspect of the game will be determined by player interest.

This game uses a dice pool, so bring at least a half dozen d6.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by mikeawmids.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Vaesen: Wicked Secrets 1 year 4 months ago #6432

• rhodsey
  • Platinum Member
Ta just putting a post on so I get any updates.

Got any copy of a quick start or similar? played a bit of this and getting very familiar with Year Zero games but would be good to do a bit of reading. If not for systems I'm learning or not familiar with I tend to just roll for it all and randomise it.

Vaesen: Wicked Secrets 1 year 4 months ago #6437

• mikeawmids
Regrettably, no quick start rules have been released, but the link below provides a pretty comprehensive run-down of the rules;

www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/features/how-to-play-vaesen/

Vaesen: Wicked Secrets 1 year 4 months ago #6454

• rhodsey
  • Platinum Member
Convenient timing but all of the Vaesen (and forbidden lands) PDFs just went into a humble bundle so can get the whole lot for £14.55

Mike what should I definitely NOT read?

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/vaesen-forbidden-lands-free-league-books

Vaesen: Wicked Secrets 1 year 4 months ago #6455

• rhodsey
  • Platinum Member
I shall assume from the game title to completely ignore the wicked Secrets PDF.

Also do you mind if I roll on the lifepath tables on the day? For systems i'm getting to know find this easier/more fun to generate randomly. doesn't look like it'll take too long.

Vaesen: Wicked Secrets 1 year 4 months ago #6456

• mikeawmids
Avoid Wicked Secrets and the adventure included with the core rules (The Dance of Dreams). If you have the rules and want to roll up beforehand, feel free to do. I'll probably stick to the character creation process from the core rules for folk rolling up their characters on the night.
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds