Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Symbaroum: The Promised Land

Symbaroum: The Promised Land 1 year 4 months ago #6436

• Sant
  • Platinum Member
Setting: Dark Fantasy styleee

21 years ago the great realm of Alberator was attacked by the Dark Lords, a powerful group of wizards and sorcerers who used dark magics to force the dead to do their bidding.
Legions of walking dead called the Draghoul tore Alberetor to shreds, in the great battle king of Alberetor, Lindar, fell, and his daughter, the young queen Korinthia was captured by the Dark Lords. Ultimately, her knights saved Korinthia and the Dark Lords were slain. Ever since her return from captivity the queen hides her visage with a porcelain mask. To this day, no one knows why the Dark Lords did what they did or where they came from.
The long years of war left the land of Alberetor, once so rich and fertile, blackened, empty and dead. Nothing grew in the fields anymore and the animals slowly died in their pastures when their owners fled the tainted land.
Queen Korinthia decided to lead her people across the Titans, the large mountain range north of the now desolate realm of Alberetor.
When they crossed the mountain, they found lush plains bordering an ancient dark forest. This realm was destined to become Ambria, The Shining, as Queen Korinthia called it. She led her battle-hardened legions against the Barbarian tribes that had claimed this land, pushed them back and destroyed several of them. She raised the standard of Prios the sun-God, the one God which burns within the heart of every man, woman and child. With Templar priests strengthening her legions Queen Korinthia was victorious over all who challenged her.
21 years have passed. The barbarian tribes have been pushed further and further north. The realm of Ambria grows with every year and now encompasses everything between the Titan mountains to the south and the borders of this ancient, dark and yet eerily beautiful forest that the people here call Davokar.
The forest is an important part of the region for within this dangerous and mysterious area lies the ruins of a civilization that fell a thousand years ago, the civilization of the Simbar. It left behind many ruins which are filled with riches and old magic, for Symbaroum was a powerful realm filled with great sorcerers who created and left behind many artifacts and riches. However, the evil that pulled down Simba rule is still there, slumbering in the ground of Davokar Forest, waiting in the gloom, waiting to be awakened.
The wandering dead, savage tribes, corrupted abominations and dangerous wild animals are some of the many deadly features of the old forest. However, most dangerous of all, according to some are the elves of the Iron Pact. Mysterious, cold and pale-faced beings who have sworn to slay all those who dare enter the old ruins for they see themselves as the guardians of the forest. They wish to make sure that the ancient evil is not disturbed, that it cannot spread and will never wake again.
The realm of Ambria makes uneasy alliances with many barbarian tribes. Politicians scheme and treasure hunters set out to enter Davokar and claim riches and power for themselves. They have built their own city, Thistlehold, the city of adventurers and of treasure hunters, lying at the very foot of the great forest of Davokar.
These men and women come from many different backgrounds, some of them are not human at all. They all wish to enter Davokar and claim its riches or die trying.
This is the setting of Symbaroum, it is a dark and corrupt setting with danger seemingly behind every corner, but it also has its beacons of light, truth and justice.
It is up to your characters to decide which side of the scales they sit on.

Setup:
You begin leaving the ruined land of Alberator, seeking passage to Ambria, across the mountains.
Grab some quickstart rules here www.drivethrurpg.com/product/279090/Symbaroum--Quick-Start
Grab some dice, you know, the usual sort, standard d4-20.
Well do victim creation on the first night.
This will lead into two other scenarios.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Symbaroum: The Promised Land 1 year 3 months ago #6463

• ZeroGravitas
  • Fifth Level
Looking forward to it!

Symbaroum: The Promised Land 1 year 3 months ago #6466

• Count Crow
  • Tenth Level
Good game tonight really cool system.

Sant do you have any PDFs of the rulebook? I can stick it on the tablet for next week if it's easier to have two books on the table.

Symbaroum: The Promised Land 1 year 3 months ago #6475

• Sant
  • Platinum Member
I’ve had a long think about the game folks, and I thank you for patiently going through the character creation process and coming up with some unique characters. However, I feel that the dynamic with the characters is simply not going to work. I explained that the scenario was the introductory one which then leads in to 2 other scenarios, which effectively makes quite a nice mini campaign that introduces all aspects of the game world. To make this work, there is an expectation for the characters to engage with the story arc. Published adventures such as this one give a certain amount of freedom, but to get the most out of it for all involved, there remains the above expectation. Yes, it is tight, because it requires certain plot points to be achieved. Right now, the in game consequences will result in a very short non-series of adventures, those consequences have to happen to maintain believability in NPC reactions and fall-out.
I did some long thinking to make sure it wasn’t me, I’ve been GMing long enough to know it isn’t. This is not rail-roading (see above), similarly it is not competitive gaming, it is a story, one that could potentially be quite rewarding and led on to bigger, greater, world spanning and effecting outcomes, but right now, I do not want to continue running it.
If you, as a group would like a more free-form experience, do what you like, reap the consequences with no real goal or managed story arc, I could swap this to Forbidden Lands, which is essentially open world hex crawling with encounters thrown in, or someone else can run something.
Please let me know what you would like to do, because as it stands, I won’t be running this next week. Apologies, I have never done this before and it’s hard for me to say.

Symbaroum: The Promised Land 1 year 3 months ago #6476

• Count Crow
  • Tenth Level
Ahh that's disappointing, but if you're not feeling it, it can't be helped.

I'm happy to play whatever, I've got nothing prepped to run anything myself.

Symbaroum: The Promised Land 1 year 3 months ago #6477

• ZeroGravitas
  • Fifth Level
Really sorry to hear that Ade.

The contract between GM and player characters is important and it’s the whole point that you have as much fun as we do as we ‘play’ together.

For my part I very much value the story and the journey, it’s the whole point! We work together and if we go off piste we … desynchronise (assassins creed explains it well). We don’t want that.

Personally I LOVED getting back into it and really enjoy you as a GM. You bring it to life and love the characters you create! I really enjoyed the new milieu and dynamics.

So, don’t call quits just yet, please, let’s re-contract and look to finish this story together!
  • Page:
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds