Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Murder in the Dark - An Eberron story...

Murder in the Dark - An Eberron story... 6 years 7 months ago #2349

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
some background on Eberron and Sharn city of towers

Eberron
Creater Tim Baker

General
The medieval world of Eberron is a place of magic and monsters, where arcane energy infuses the landscape and greatly influences society and industry. Thanks to a mastery of the arcane arts, the great cities of the continent of Khorvaire contain skyscraping castles, elemental-powered coaches and carriages, and all manner of enchanted conveniences. Magic is industry across the face of Eberron, the innovative spark that propels society forward. The advances and conveniences made possible by magic augment the trappings of a medieval D&D world. Magic and the arcane arts allow for effects that in some ways mimic technological marvels that didn’t appear in our world until the 1800s. Something resembling a magical telegraph provides communication between two locations. An arcane analog of the railroad connects defined routes among the more civilized regions of the world. Magic exists to accomplish tasks otherwise impossible—if you can find the right spell wielder and you have enough gold to pay for the privilege.

As the campaign begins, the world of Eberron is emerging from a long and devastating war. The nations of the continent of Khorvaire were once part of a great kingdom of legend, the mighty kingdom of Galifar. When King Jarot died, his five heirs, each in command of one of the Five Nations that comprised the kingdom, refused to bow to tradition. Instead of allowing the eldest scion to take the crown, the siblings rallied their vassals and individually vied to take control of the kingdom. Over time, this decades long conflict became known as the Last War, for everyone imagined that when it finally ended, the taste for bloodshed and battle would be wiped from the face of Khorvaire.

The Last War continued for more than a century, with each of the Five Nations alternately fighting against or alongside one or more of the others as animosities and alliances shifted like the wind in the Shargon Straits. In time, other nations formed as deals were made and opportunities presented themselves. After 102 years of fighting, the leaders of the recognised nations of Khorvaire (which now numbered twelve) met at the ancient capital of Galifar to draft a peace. With the signing of the Treaty of Thronehold, the Last War came to an end.

Today, the nations of Khorvaire seek to rebuild and prosper as the new peace spreads across the land. While technically at peace, the nations continue to vie for economic and political supremacy. Minor skirmishes break out every so often, especially in the more remote sections of the continent and on the most hotly contested borders. Espionage and sabotage are the preferred method of diplomacy, since the nations engage in trade and discussion in public while working intrigues and double-crosses in the shadows.

The Five Nations.
The human-dominated civilizations on the continent of Khorvaire trace a lineage to the ancient kingdom of Galifar, which was made up of five distinct regions, or nations. These were Aundair, Breland, Cyre, Karrnath, and Thrane. Four of these nations survive to the present day as independent countries; Cyre was destroyed before the start of the campaign. The devastated territory it once occupied is now known as the Mournland. A common oath or exclamation among the people of Khorvaire is “By the Five Nations,” or some version thereof. The Five Nations refers to the ancient kingdom of Galifar and evokes a legendary time of peace and prosperity.

The Draconic Prophecy
The Draconic Prophecy. The dragons, long-lived and patient in all things, seek meaning in the patterns found in the world and the heavens. These patterns play out in the Prophecy, a record of things to come that has been emerging since the creation of the world. The Draconic Prophecy is as complex and unfathomable as the dragons themselves. It hints at events of doom and dread as often as it helps push the world toward exalted events. It seems to point toward transformation rather than destruction, but to most people, the Prophecy remains as alien as the dragons themselves.

Dragonmark dynasties.
The great dragonmarked families are the barons of industry and commerce throughout Khorvaire and beyond. Their influence transcends political boundaries, and they remained mostly neutral during the Last War. The heads of each house, not technically citizens of any nation, live in splendor within their enclaves and emporiums located throughout Khorvaire. These dynastic houses of commerce derive their power from the dragonmarks—unique, hereditary arcane sigils—that manifest on certain individuals within the family, granting them limited but very useful magical abilities associated with the trade guilds the family controls. Dragonmarks are said to be the Prophecy written on mortal flesh—a supposition that incenses the dragons.

Dragon Marks
The Mark of Detection (House Medani, half-elf)
The Mark of Finding (House Tharashk, half-orc, human)
The Mark of Handling (House Vadalis, human)
The Mark of Healing (House Jorasco, halfling)
The Mark of Hospitality (House Ghallanda, halfling)
The Mark of Making (House Cannith, human)
The Mark of Passage (House Orien, human)
The Mark of Scribing (House Sivis, gnome)
The Mark of Sentinel (House Deneith, human)
The Mark of Shadow (House Phiarlan and House Thuranni, elf)
The Mark of Storm (House Lyrandar, half-elf)
The Mark of Warding (House Kundarak, dwarf)
The Mark of Death (House Vol) (elf, currently "lost")

The dragonmarks normally express during pubity, and normally within certain bloodlines. The bloodlines are jealously guarded and each house strives to maintain it's purity by marrying strong bloodlines together. Newcomers expressing a particular dragonmark are typically invited to enter the house bearing the same mark, they, in effect, become 'family'. There are often many blood families within the House baring the same mark, e.g. House Cannith will have many factions working independently under the ruling council for the house. Those expressing a dragonmark are blessed in some places, reviled in others...

Magic
Magic permeates Eberron. It is used for the common good, using elementals to heat water, magical transport, drive engines of war, even fly in mighty airships, it is a fact of life, and is used frequently.
Magic is also stored in items both common and rare. The world of Eberron offer any and all magic to those with the coin to purchase it.

[and yes that means magic items are frequently commissioned, worn, used...]
Red Wine should always be opened and allowed to breathe....

if it doesn't apply mouth to bottle resuscitation.
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Sarge.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Murder in the Dark - An Eberron story... 6 years 7 months ago #2353

• alaric79
  • New Character!
hi really sorry to do this but I cant make it tonight the wife has had an accident and has done something to her neck and is currently off her face with pain meds so that leaves me to look after our 6yr old. so sorry as not to delay can I create a send a character by pm?

Murder in the Dark - An Eberron story... 6 years 7 months ago #2354

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
ok no problem hope she feels better

Murder in the Dark - An Eberron story... 6 years 7 months ago #2356

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
Session 1

Working for the noble - typical type, too much money and too much opinion
Job finished you have arrived in Sharn, his papers have been delivered
Sharn - an amazing place! What a place to live and work!

Slap up meal
An agreement to continue working for together for a few days

Leave the Tavern, its dark and raining...
The dead man on the Bridge...
The fight with the assassin
Saved by the watch!
Assassin jumps to his death! or does he?

The accusations fly, the noble takes a fence... err offence!
The distraction works...
The body has been stabbed (with a knife)
The watchman has the satchel bag.
A PERFECT sleight of hand... and the contents are boosted!

The Bell Inn beckons.
out of the rain, and into the lap of luxury, towells, a mulled wine, and a chance to talk...

The boosted goods:
some Karnathi parchments (blank - expensive looking)
some strange clay discs (featherfall tokens)
A small notebook with a strange sigil (blank)

The House Cannith representative... an invitation to meet

The Broken anvil tavern
followed...
Elaydren d'Cannith (a possible patron)
Investigate who killed the researcher
find the lost forge
recover the adamantine schema.
The notes identify a location... 73 levels below current sewers... a balancing value 139/5 and a secret door... the forge is OLD and dates before the last war... probably over 1000 years...

Job pays 1000gp
upfront payment of 200gp for equipment...

I am away on holiday next week. hopefully you can keep yourselves amused!

Murder in the Dark - An Eberron story... 6 years 6 months ago #2369

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
All
apologies, I am away this week and will not be able to get back for the game.
I promise I am around next week!

Murder in the Dark - An Eberron story... 6 years 5 months ago #2414

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
Guys
with 2 down, the finish to the scenario will be less than satisfying. I will put this up again next year as a continuation to finish it, and link to the next module if folks are interested.

I wont be at the club tonight as a result.

Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds