Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: White Plume Mountain

White Plume Mountain 6 years 1 month ago #2745

• mikeawmids
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
My name is Shu and this is the story of my most dishonourable grandmother.

Although it is my duty and my privilege as a devoted grandson to honour my ancestors, some of my grandmother’s actions during this chapter of her life make me wonder what kind of woman she really was (insofar as she was a woman at all).

Through force of arms, Sosha and her allies cut a ruinous path through the wolf pack to reach the giantish emissary. The wizard Nim polymorphed himself into a mighty dragon and took to the sky, strafing the battlefield with blasts of destructive lightning! Distracted by the winged menace, the frost giant did not notice Ruby until she delivered a devastating sneak attack to his neck, hacking at the frosty flesh in search of an important artery. The giant roared in fury and shook the halfling off like a bothersome flea. That flea, however, had done some serious damage and the rest of the heroes quickly closed in to finish the job. Calling upon his god to guide his arm, Porin struck the giant down! I have often heard my grandmother and her friends criticize the cleric for his lackadaisical approach to healing in combat, but they all agreed that he casts one mean Burning Hands.

Ruby and Wang dived headfirst into the dead giant’s bag, the former searching for any clues that might reveal the emissaries purpose, the latter for any plunder that might further tarnish his larcenous soul. The halfling rogue emerged clutching a sealed scroll-case as long as she was tall and unrolled it like a paper carpet. Neither my most dishonourable grandmother nor any of her allies could read the giantish letters, but Ruby assured them that it was very bad news indeed and they could not afford to waste a moment longer with trivial matters like resting or recovering expended spell slots.

Sosha and her friends rushed to intercept the hill giant delegation. While the party prepared their most offensive spells, Ruby slipped away to scout the giant’s camp. She returned with grim tidings; the hill giants had strapped human prisoners about their swollen bellies. They had likely done this to make snacking easier on the march, but it effectively negated many of the fellowships most effective spells, for they could not risk catching the civilians in the crossfire! Well, the majority of the party felt this risk was too great, but my most dishonourable grandmother was of a different mind. Upon suggesting to Ruby that being good would only get them so far against the giants, Sosha was rocked to the core of her being as her alignment shifted from chaotic good to chaotic neutral!

The fellowship struggled to find an alternative course that would not endanger the lives of the human hostages. My most dishonourable grandmother withdrew from their company, muttering darkly about collateral damage. Eventually, it was decided that Wang would snare and cook a brace of rabbits to lure the gluttonous hill giants into an ambush. The plan worked – up to a point. The greedy giants soon caught the scent of cooking meat and rushed to investigate. Wang stepped out from behind a bush and punched a giant in the dick. All five giants surrounded the monk and clubbed him into meaty paste. Porin ambled over and healed the dying monk. All five giants clubbed both the cleric and the monk into meaty paste. Nroc blinded a giant and chuckled as the titan tripped over his own fat feet. Nim cast Phantasmal Killer and subjected another titan to his greatest fear. I am told his target shrieked “No, not salad!” before running headlong into a tree. My most dishonourable grandmother utilized her greater speed and agility to run circles around the sluggish brutes, whilst wondering if she could slip in a crafty Fireball without anyone noticing.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by mikeawmids.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

White Plume Mountain 5 years 6 months ago #3284

• mikeawmids
My name is Shu and this is the story of my most honourable grandmother.

One thousand apologies, honourable reader, for the inexcusable lapse in my records. My family and I have been vacationing on the sunny Sword Coast and I was prevented from maintaining my routine. We all had a drink at the famous Yawning Portal in Waterdeep and my most dishonourable cousin Jhing was recruited into a cult of elemental evil! Our ancestors must surely weep at his poor life choices.

But enough of my rambling, let us return to Sosha and her allies as they continue their assault on the hill giant stead. The heroes had fought long and hard to clear the surface level of the giant’s lair, but the cowardly chieftain had retreated into the tunnels beneath the fortress. Against the advice of Gorr, a half-orc ranger who had recently joined the fellowship, the party took a leisurely eight hour rest before pursuing the fleeing giants. Fen Wong spotted gems glittering in the gloom and hurried forward to fill his pockets. Too late did that poor, greedy soul discover that the stones he so recklessly coveted were mere costume glass and his headlong rush had triggered a most deadly trap! An iron portcullis dropped, trapping the heroes in the den of four savage manticores! The manticores were significantly less savage once the heroes had finished with them. Fen Wong’s lust for gold may have instigated the encounter, but his kung fu also helped extract the party from trouble, as he single handedly slew two of the beasts with his bare hands. Stepping over the bodies, the heroes looted the treasure room beyond, but were disappointed by their haul. Seven chests were laden with coin of various denominations, but the loose currency was too cumbersome to carry and the heroes let it lie. One of the chests was trapped and the wood elf rogue (another new addition to the group, whose name I have most unforgivably forgotten) was pricked by a poisonous pin that caused his once clever fingers to swell up like fat, pus-filled sausages. The one interesting find amidst the mountains of copper was a glowing blue potion that defied identification by the wizard Nim, despite the depth of his arcane and esoteric knowledge.

The heroes continued searching for the wayward chieftain, descending deeper into the dungeon below the hill giant stead. Unfortunately (but perhaps unsurprisingly), the giants had had plenty of time to prepare a suitable welcome for the intrepid adventurers. Several secret doors burst open, spilling a full monster-manual-worth of enemies into the room! Sosha and her six companions found themselves facing the hill giant chieftain and his wife, two fire giants, two stone giants, another random hill giant hill giant and thirty bugbears. I know what you must be thinking;‘But Shu, what kind of cruel and/or insane god would pit your most honourable grandmother against such unfavourable odds?' I have no answer for you, who can guess at the will of the gods? All we can do is continue to offer them our prayers and hope they will not continue to be such utter bastards in future.

Sosha and Nim incinerated the horde of bugbears with their magic, while Fen Wong engaged the two fire giants in melee. He fared poorly, but not so poorly as Porin the cleric, who charged the hill giant chieftain and was immediately KO’d by the giant’s formidable spouse! The wood elf rogue fumbled with his bow, his hand still swollen with poison. To add ogres to injury, a trio of ogres entered the fray, rolling a ballista into position and opening fire upon the party! How could Sosha and her allies hope to overcome such an insurmountable challenge?
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by mikeawmids.

White Plume Mountain 5 years 6 months ago #3294

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
The scene paused – everything frozen in an instant. The uproar was immediate demanding explanations.

“When you demanded I adjudicate this wager, I alone get to decide, you players influence the events and sister Tymora administers the wager.” Savras deferred to the stunningly beautiful goddess of fortune.
Well said brother! I thought it opportune to allow for a little interesting diversion. The mortals are at a cross roads, these adventurers stand on the brink of destruction, but the forces arrayed against them have lost many of their key assets, I offer you a diverting odds for new wagers…”

Tempus growled “Get on with it, this stop start is unnatural and interferes with the flow and passion of the combat.”

Unperturbed Savras continued, “I offer you odds. The chances of survival of the adventurers for this encounter only.
The cleric, chosen of his faith, a track record of modest contribution but most recently the potential saviour of all with his well placed healing magics. I offer 8-1.
The rogue, dextrous and quick, recently joined the group but showing his worth, a flair for combat but laid low by a single monstrous blow, I offer 3-1,
The troubled berserker bard, both man and woman, but all warrior, another to suffer the giant’s ill treatment, I offer 5-1.
The light fingered monk, his stunning fist and multiple strikes have been devastating, agile and clearly a warrior of some renown should he survive this encounter! I offer 2-1,
The half orc ranger, arrows of lethal intent, he latest contribution to raise the cleric may well yet save them all! I offer 3-1
The sorcerer, impressive magic and devastating effects, has made him a target. He is surrounded and despite many attempts he is yet to be laid low. Surrounded by giants, I offer you two bets, 2-1 he dies this turn in the very next strike, 4-1 he doesn’t survive the encounter!
Place your bets all!”

A chorus of betting occurred amongst the gods. With only Bane and Mystra excluded. Bane glared at the diminutive goddess of magic. Their contest – that has started as a mere bagatelle of diversion had escalated once the other gods has spied their sport.

The noise died down, Savras addressed Bane and Mystra, “Are you ready? You have a short time to prepare your next moves, but you cannot influence this encounter directly”. Bane waved his hands in a dismissive manner. Mystra raised merely raised her hand and made on odd gesture, a jade circlet on head glowed briefly, and her voice changed to that of an old man with a soft irish accent “I have things to attend to, you may continue, my team will be fine…” Her Strensversy avatar then turned and disappeared into the shadows leaving the images on floor of the hall of the gods to finish their peculiar dance of death…
Red Wine should always be opened and allowed to breathe....

if it doesn't apply mouth to bottle resuscitation.

White Plume Mountain 5 years 6 months ago #3299

• mikeawmids
My name is Shu and this is the story of my most honorable grandmother.

Welcome back, most honourable reader! I had hoped that you would return to hear what awaited my most honorable grandmother in the dark places below the hill giant’s stead. Only by retelling these stories does Sosha’s story live on beyond the span of her mortal years.

Despite the destruction of the bugbear horde, Sosha and her allies remained in grave peril. The giants were fewer in number than their barbaric minions, but their strength made them much more formidable. Realising that the party were doomed without healing, Gorr weathered a storm of blows to reach the downed cleric and force a potion down his throat.

“Healing!” demanded Gorr.

“Sacred Flame?” countered Porin.

“HEALING!!!” roared Gorr.

The tide of battle shifted in the heroes favour as their wounds were healed and their spirits galvanised by the cleric’s grudging prayers.

My most honorable grandmother cast dimension door and re-appear behind the ogre artillery, then dropped a fireball on their fat, ogre heads. Unhappily, all three of the brutes survived (although the ballista was destroyed) and two of their number lumbered forward to retaliate.

Meanwhile, Fen Wong and Althalas (the wood elf rogue) pummeled the chieftain’s wife. Enraged by this abuse of his civil partner, the hill giant chieftain rushed forward, swinging his massive great-club with enough fury to smear the two heroes across the flagstones! Porin uttered a word of power and froze the giant in his tracks!

“HEALING!!!” roared Gorr from across the battlefield.

“Holding!” Porin muttered, teeth clenched together as he wrestled with the giant’s iron will.

Eventually, Sosha and her allies overcame the giant army and stood atop a carpet of their fallen enemies. For the space of ten heartbeats, they waited for the next wave of giants to appear. Yet none came, all was silent beneath the stead. Cautiously, the heroes explored the dungeon. They encountered no further enemies, but found enough treasure to buy a small castle (or seven large houses after it was split seven ways). I suspect that it was with her share of that windfall that my most honorable grandmother purchased the home in which I now live with my own family. In addition to hard currency, the heroes found several magic weapons and a curious obsidian chain that radiated sorcery. The wizard Nim established that when lain upon the ground, the chain created a teleportation circle that would deliver the party to the doorstep of the frost giant jarl allied to the hill giant chieftain. Recklessly – or for lack of better options – Sosha and her allies activated the circle and stepped through.
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by mikeawmids.

White Plume Mountain 5 years 5 months ago #3312

• mikeawmids

Having stepped into a circle of teleportation without the faintest idea of where it led, Sosha and her allies were surprised to find that it led back to the comfortably appointed study of their sorcerous patron, the golden mage Strens Versi.

“What a happy coincidence!” Porin beamed, warming his hands by the flames of the multi-coloured fire crackling in the wizard’s hearth.

“It was no coincidence, happy or otherwise,” the magus snapped, “Once I realised you fools were about to leap through a portal into the frozen heart of the Winterlands, I took steps to intercept you and bring you back here.”

The fellowship emptied out their pockets, pouches and interdimensional chests, then tallied up their haul. Each member of the fellowship suddenly had thousands of gold to squander on new magic items. My most honourable grandmother purchased a crimson cloak that reeked of brimstone but allowed her to cast dimension door once per day without expending a spell slot. She also purchased a pair of goggles that allowed her to see in the dark. Porin purchased a broom of flying and Althalus secured a pair of soft-soled boots that enabled him to move silently. Wang bought a six-pack of healing potions, on the principal that gold is great - but you need to be alive to spend it.

While the heroes were out shopping, Strens Versi examined the two floating gemstones that had attached themselves to the party during their exploration of the hill giant stead. The stones had adopted Sosha and Nerox respectively and followed them around ever since. Although the golden mage was unable to identify the stones, he suspected that they belonged to a larger collection of equally magical rocks and the more of them the party gathered, the more powerful each individual stone would become.

Rested and resupplied, Sosha and her allies rendezvoused at the wizard’s tower and prepared to embark on the next stage of their giant slaying murder spree.

“Be warned,” Strens Versi said, as Nim laid out the teleportation chain upon the floor of his workroom, “The hill giants you fought were strong, but stupid. Frost giants are another cauldron of frogs entirely. Do not become overconfident. Work together and watch each other’s backs if you want to come back alive and in one piece.”

Sosha and her companions stepped through the teleportation circle, emerging into an icy wasteland of swirling snow and howling wind. The freezing temperature would have been immediately life threatening were it not for the rings of warmth that adorned each of the heroes’ hands. A hooded figure stood waiting for the party, silhouetted in dancing green flames.

“You meddlesome heroes have interfered in my plans for the last time!” crowed the stranger, sculpting the snow around him into three towering, bestial shapes. My grandmother told me that the snow monsters’ eyes flared with baleful green light as they charged toward her and her friends!

Sosha and Porin took to the air, where the beasts’ claws could not reach them. They could reach Wang just fine however, and spilled the monk’s bloody entrails across the snow. His coin pouch split open also, spilling coins among the glistening viscera. My most honourable grandmother described feeling sickened as she watched Wang ignoring his wounds to reach for the gold. Fortunately, Gorr was there to save the hapless monk, grabbing a handful of organs and stuffing them back into his body.

“My friends!” Nerox roared, raising his voice to be heard over the blizzard, “Remember the words of the golden mage! If we stand together, if we fight in harmony, we can defeat these abominable snowmen! Are you with me?”

Nerox turned to find himself standing alone, surrounded by all three of the yeti. Gorr and Wang stumbled away in one direction, Nim and Althalus fled in another, whilst Sosha and Porin had disappeared into the darkening sky.

“How many times do I have to tell you not to split the party?” Nerox raged, pulling out handfuls of his long, dwarven beard, “IT MAKES ME SO MAD!! RAAGGHHH!”

My most honourable grandmother often wondered why Nerox abandoned his bardic training and became a barbarian. Looking back on these events, it’s really not much of a mystery to me.

Eventually, Sosha and her allies pulled together and defeated the snow monsters. Of the pesky summoner, there was no trace. Despite the howling wind and driving sleet, Gorr seemed almost cheerful to be back in the mountains (his favoured terrain). The half-orc took the lead and led the party to the base of the glacier where the frost giants had made their frosty lair.
Last Edit: 5 years 5 months ago by mikeawmids.

White Plume Mountain 5 years 5 months ago #3333

• mikeawmids

Sosha and her companions slipped and slid down an icy crevasse into the heart of the glacier. Althalus scouted ahead of the others to ensure they didn’t blunder into another ambush, like the one below the hill giant stead. His pointy elf ears detected a curious mewling sound and he crept forward to investigate. Three playful wolf pups scampered around an ice cave, the idyllic scene spoiled somewhat by all the human bones littering the floor. It was spoilt further when mummy and daddy wolf returned to defend their cubs, their parental concern rewarded by a bloody end. After orphaning the wolf pups, Sosha and her allies decided to adopt them as adorable party mascots!

The heroes continued to explore the maze of glittering ice tunnels that twisted through the glacier, like worms burrowing towards the core of a huge, frozen apple. They reached a sleeping area, where great furry hides had been laid out across the cold ground. A pair of frost giant sentries entered the cavern at almost the same moment and the two groups stared at one another in surprise before weapons were drawn. Porin cast hold person to freeze one giant in place while Althalus clambered up its back to cut its throat. Nerox used his oft-neglected bardic talents to suggest that the second giant run along and find its friends.

“What did you do?” Gorr asked, as the giant skipped off.

“I suggested that it go find its friends.” Nerox explained.

“Let me check I heard that right,” Gorr growled, a vein on his forehead beginning to throb menacingly, “You let it go to summon reinforcement?”

“That’s one way of interpreting it….”

“Silence, fool!” Gorr roared, sprinting after the retreating figure, “We must stop that giant!”

“Never fear, Nim is here!” Nim cried, weaving the threads of magic between his clever fingers and hurling a fireball down the icy tunnel.

Gorr cursed the recklessness of the gnome wizard as the fiery blast rocked the entire glacier. A large section of the ceiling groaned ominously, then fell – blocking Gorr off from the rest of the party! Unwilling to dawdle while the rest of the party cleared the blockage, Gorr chased down the fleeing giant alone. By the time the rest of the heroes caught up, the giant lay dead and Gorr stood triumphant astride his fallen foe.

“HEA - ” Gorr began to shout, but Porin was already moving forward to cure his wounds.

Continuing their search for the frost giant jarl, Sosha and her allies found a gristly trophy room filled with the frozen bodies of less fortunate adventurers who had fallen within the dread glacier. Many of the bodies still clutched magical weapons in their cold, dead fingers - until Sosha and her companions pried them loose and claimed them for themselves. Sosha gained a Staff of Frost, which she hoped would be useful when Strens Versi inevitably sent the group to deal with the fire giants. Wang claimed a bejewelled belt worth thousands of gold and Porin grabbed a ring that granted him resistance to fire damage.

Beyond the trophy room lay a warren of interconnected caves occupied by a whole clan of ogres. Sosha and her allies wiped them out and continued on without regret.

At this point, Sosha grew impatient with all of Althalus’ wearisome sneaking and decided to take the lead, striding purposefully and without subterfuge into the next encounter. Two stone giants stared at her in surprise.

“Who are you?” they boomed “Where’s your rogue?”

Fireball!
Last Edit: 5 years 5 months ago by mikeawmids.
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds