Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: White Plume Mountain

White Plume Mountain 6 years 2 months ago #2575

• mikeawmids
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
My name is Shu and this is the story of my most honourable grandfather.

The sphinx posed three warm-up riddles to the party, to get them in the right frame of mind. My most honourable grandfather was never able to recall the exact wording, but he did remember the answers. The solution to the first riddle was ‘a candle’, which was very easy. The answer to the second riddle was ‘legs’, which nobody could guess. The correct response to the final test was ‘dew’, which was unfortunate, as the heroes said ‘sunrise’ (although Nroc had suggested ‘dew’, he was voted down by the rest of the group). With some trepidation, the heroes awaited the real riddle that would determine whether the sphinx allowed them to pass, or attempt to murder them in the dark. Fortunately, the final riddle was the easiest yet (the answer was ‘the moon’) and the sphinx dropped the invisible wall of force blocking the tunnel and permitted the party to continue unmurdered.

Sosho and his friends splashed along through the dark, flooded labyrinth below White Plume Mountain. At one point, they blundered into an acidic ooze that devoured their boots. Soon, they came to a room blanketed in magical darkness. Wang, Porin and Sosho entered the room and groped around until they bumped into a group of five flesh golems numbered 5, 7, 9, 11 & 13. The golems gave the heroes 30 seconds to state which of them did not belong, which turned out to be the one numbered 9, because 9 is not a prime number. I remember my most honourable grandfather being most annoyed by this puzzle, as he did not become an 8th level sorcerer to do math! Because the flesh golem did not belong, Nroc asked it if it would care to accompany the party onward. To everyone’s surprise, the golem agreed!

Sosho and his friends continued on and came to a cavern filled with boiling mud. To cross the room, they would have to traverse a series of slippery platforms suspended over the bubbling muck. Nim leapt onto the first platform and froze, clutching the chain that suspended it from the roof of the cave. Suddenly, the mud began to churn and a geyser erupted, splattering the gnomish wizard with scalding slime. Realizing that his friend was in trouble, Sosho bravely leapt to the platform, placed his hand on Nim’s shoulder and dimension doored them both to the other side of the room. Wang, Nroc and Arston all gulped down the potions of gaseous form given to them by Strens Versi and crossed the mud without incident, leaving only poor Porin (and the flesh golem, whom Nroc had christened Frank) stranded by the entrance. Trusting his deity to shield him from harm, Porin hurled himself towards the first platform. He fell short, weighed down by his armour and hung from the edge of the slippery disc by his fingertips! Wang quickly tied two lengths of rope together and knotted one end to a crossbolt, then fired that crossbow at the cleric! With speed and co-ordination he had lacked during his jump to the platform, Porin grabbed the rope as the crossbolt sailed passed his head and released his grip on the platform. Like an armoured ape, Porin swung across the boiling mud and crashed into the far ledge with a calamitous clatter! Wang and the others hauled him up and the heroes were ready to continue their adventure!

The door ahead revealed a long, dark corridor. Halfway along, Sosho, Porin and Nroc felt an inexplicable terror wash over them and turned to flee. Realizing that his fear was irrational and likely the result of some spell or trap, Sosho told Wang to beat him into unconsciousness, so that his senseless body could be dragged passed whatever barrier had triggered the attack. Gladly did Wang comply with this wise request! Meanwhile, Porin and Nroc fled the passage and ran headlong towards the lake of boiling mud. Nroc recovered his senses and stopped before tumbling from the edge, but Porin was overcome with horror and hurled himself into the scalding mire. Fortunately, Nroc was able to lower a rope and haul the dying cleric out of the muck before he cooked.

Meanwhile, Arston had reached the far end of the spooky passage and opened the door there. A poisonous needle shot out of a hidden tube and struck his cheek! Arston brushed it away and casually negated the poison’s effect. Beyond the threshold lay another room shrouded in magical darkness. The most dishonourable Wang rolled my most honourable grandfather into the room to see what would happen to him. Nothing happened, but when he pulled Sosho back out, there was a large black bat attached to his throat! Wang lashed out instinctively, trying to dislodge the winged parasite, but missed and punched Sosho in the face with lethal force, caving in his skull! Fortunately, Arston was on hand to stabilize my most honourable grandfather and heal the damage. Wang rolled the groggy Sosho back into the dark room, hoping to lure out another bat. This time however, something immensely strong grabbed hold of Sosho and pulled him out of Wang’s grip! Sosho felt sharp fangs sink into his neck, ripping and tearing at his flesh! Frantic, he cast dimension door to escape! Arston sensed that a creature of undeath lurked in the room and charged blindly to face it, preventing Nim from casting fireball for fear of catching the reckless paladin in the blast. Recovering from his wounds, Porin dispelled the magical darkness and the heroes discovered they were fighting a vampire!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by mikeawmids.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

White Plume Mountain 6 years 2 months ago #2619

• mikeawmids
My name is Shu and this is the story of my of most honourable grandfather.

Honourable Sosho was not directly involved in the battle against the vampire, for his wounds were great and he desperately required healing. What little he was able to remember of that fight, witnessed in flashes of lucidity as the cursed blood poured from his neck, is recorded here. Having bravely charged to face the vampire alone, Arston discovered himself to be gravely outmatched and was thrown back from the vampire’s lair. Despite his injuries, the fearless paladin struggled to rise and return to the fight. Without pausing to offer his aid, Fen Wang stepped over Arston and moved to engage the vampire. Unwisely, Nroc followed. The vampire lunged to grab the monk, but Wang quickly dodged out of the way and the bloodsucker caught hold of Nroc instead! With a sound like nails being driven into an overripe orange, the vampire sunk its fangs into the bard’s neck! Though I was not there, I can easily imagine the oily smirk on Wang’s face as his comrade in arms was injured in his place! While the vampire was busy draining the life out of poor Nroc, Wang delivered his infamous Spinning Kenku Uppercut to defeat the undead menace.

Breaking apart the vampire’s coffin, Sosho and his allies discovered a secret compartment concealed beneath a false base. Within were many bags of glittering coin (which Wang would have stolen were it not for the intervention of my most honourable grandfather), several crumpled scrolls (which Nim carefully pasted into his spellbook) and a masterfully crafted dwarven warhammer. Before anyone could stop him, Nroc had lifted the weapon from the broken casket, oblivious to the fact that this warhammer was one of the three ancient, powerful relics that the party had been charged with recovering from the dungeon! Immediately, Nroc’s face became slack and his expression gormless as Whelm attempted to overWHELM his mind. Just my little joke. If you only knew what was coming, you would forgive these moments of levity.

Fearful of what might happen to Nroc if they interrupted the attunement process, all Sosho and his friends could do was watch in concern as their friend fought to retain control of his own body. A moment later, Nroc regained his wits, but he was no longer the same free spirited half-elf that Sosho remembered. Little did my most honourable grandfather know at the time, but Nroc’s metamorphosis was only just beginning! The heroes decided to retrace their steps back to the junction where they encountered the riddlesome sphinx and explore another section of the labyrinthine caverns under White Plume Mountain. Frank the flesh golem had wandered off, yet Nroc barely seemed to notice or care, too busy was he demanding that someone supply him with a flask of dwarven ale! Along the way, the party spotted a passage they had previously overlooked and decided to investigate. If only they had resisted that terrible impulse!

At the end of the passage, Sosho and his friends found a small room decorated by nine silver spheres, hanging from the ceiling. Sosho tapped one with his staff and it tinkled merrily. The sound re-awoke Nroc’s love of music and he played an enchanting melody by gently striking the curious mobile in a particular order. Maybe it was an accident - or perhaps it was Whelm reasserting its will over the rebellious bard, but on the final note, Nroc struck the last silver sphere hard enough to crack it open like a duck egg! Out fell a small key and a collection of ancient coins. The door to the room swung shut, trapping Nroc and Sosho inside! There was a mighty crash as Wang collided with the other side of the door, then a despairing wail as the greedy monk realised he could not reach the precious metal lying at the feet of my most honourable grandfather. Being a team spirited fellow, Sosho instead picked up the key and tried to open the locked door. Alas, the key did not fit the lock! Suggesting that the other spheres may hold additional keys and that one must open the door, Sosho gingerly broke open a second orb. It did indeed contain a second key, but it also contained a hungry grey ooze! The foul slime landed on and absorbed the key before Sosho could reach it! Then it lashed out a dripping pseudopod and snatched away my most honourable grandfather’s most honourable stick! That staff was a dynastic heirloom that had been in the Li family for generations! Had that grey ooze not devoured it like a strip of horse jerky, it would have one day have been passed on to me! While my most honourable grandfather was mourning the loss of his stick, Nroc was once again communing with Whelm. I do not know what the relic promised him, but before Sosho’s eyes, his good friend was transformed from a handsome half-elven bard to a stumpy, smelly, bearded dwarf!!! Brandishing the warhammer (with which he was now dangerously proficient), Nroc splattered the grey ooze across the wall! Sosho gingerly picked up the dripping key and tried it in the lock, this one did not fit either! The next orb they shattered unleashed an angry air elemental! Although my most honourable grandfather did not know it at the time, Nim and the others were fighting their own battle on the other side of the sealed door, having been ambushed by an invisible stalker! Once the stalker had been defeated, Fen Wang downed his potion of gaseous form in order to pass through the keyhole into the room. By this time, both Nroc and Sosho were grievously wounded and could only gawp in outrage as Wang began to gather up all the loose treasure on the ground before turning his furious fists upon the elemental!

White Plume Mountain 6 years 2 months ago #2640

• mikeawmids
My name is Shu and this is the story of my most honourable grandfather.

After breaking open six of the nine silver orbs dangling from the ceiling, Sosho and Nroc were no closer to escaping the cursed closet. Wang had finished harvesting the loose plunder fallen from the six broken spheres and greedily smashed a seventh.The avaricious monk was buried beneath a golden shower of gleaming coins! As Wang flailed around like an aristocratic duck, Nroc noticed that the monk now possessed three shadows! Two of the three shadows slipped away and begin draining Sosho's strength. Nroc was similarly afflicted and now struggled to lift the warhammer to which he had attuned. Grudgingly, Wang defeated the shadowy threat. The eighth orb contained another key and an enchanted ring. The ring reeled off a list of powerful benefits that its wearer would enjoy. It should have worried my most honourable grandfather that Wang did not demand the magical trinket, as he had attempted to seize every other piece of loot the party had come across since entering the dungeon. Alas, Sosho was seduced by the ring's wild promises and he slipped the wretched band onto his finger. As abruptly as Whelm had reassigned Nroc's race, the ring altered Sosho's gender from male to female! My most honourable grandfather was now my most topless grandmother! Fortunately, Nroc had an elven tunic that no longer fit his new, barrelesque figure and Sosho was able to cover his... no, her, bare breasts from the cleric's leery gaze.

When Sosho, Nroc and Wang exited the room, they found Nim, Arston and Poric looting two dead ogres they had randomly encountered. It took some time to explain why the party now contained a dwarf and a woman and the fellowship decided to take a long rest while this information sunk in. Sosho decided to rename herself Sosha until she found a way to restore her original form. The cursed ring could not be removed from her finger and Sosha was not receptive to the notion of severing the bejeweled digit. After resting, the party returned to the entrance of the dungeon and initiated their exploration of the leftmost passage.

After paddling across a flooded pit, Sosha and her allies came to a long corridor lined with metal plates. When Arston attempted to pass, he learnt that invisible waves between the plates super-heated his metal armour. Wang drank a potion of spider-climbing and carried the paladin's armour passed the plates by crawling along the ceiling. Stripped of all metal items, the rest of the party were able to pass unharmed. While Arston was busy redonning his armour, the party were attacked by a gang of ghouls! Nim waved his hand dismissively and a burst of sorcerous flame reduced the ghouls to ash! The gnomish wizard explained that although the ghouls were weak, the paralyzing effect of their venom could have greatly inconvenienced the unarmoured heroes.

Ascending to the next level of the dungeon, Sosha and her friends entered a long room, the floor of which was coated in a curious, silver sheen. Stepping onto the silvery surface, Nroc found himself accelerating towards a pit full of jagged, rusty metal spikes! Nim tried his luck and also ended up in the pit. Poric removed a door from the entrance (after fending off a pair of undead door enthusiasts who objected to this act of vandalism) and used it as a sled to cross the pit. He and Wang crossed safely, but passed through an invisible wall and collided with a real wall with bone-jarring force. Sosha and Arston dimensioned doored across and found themselves stranded on a patch of the slippery, silvery floor. Both of them ended up in the pit with Nroc and Nim.

White Plume Mountain 6 years 1 month ago #2658

• mikeawmids
My name is Shu and this is the story of my most honourable grandmother.

I won’t bore you with the details of how Sosha and her allies escaped from that frictionless pit. Suffice to say, the party exhausted a great deal of effort to no great effect, until they discovered the solution had been right under their noses and all felt a bit stupid.

The next room contained a floating wall of water, within which swam a school of large, pale fish that shied away from the light of Wang’s torch. A row of six canoes were stacked nearby, inviting the heroes to climb aboard and ride the magic river to the Archfey knows where. For now at least, Sosha and her friends resisted this temptation.

Nroc spotted another door and discovered it to be locked. It did not stay locked for long after he started swinging Whelm at it. Beyond lay a huge, tiered space, each descending level separated by a ring of dark water. Sosha sent a cloud of dancing lights into the room, illuminating the three ferocious manticore guarding the bottom tier. Their wings had been clipped, so the beasts could not reach the party. Instead, they attacked with the poisoned barbs they could shoot from their tails. The party returned fire (literally, in my grandmother’s case) and the monsters were dispatched easily. Nroc had been hit by so many spines that he resembled a dire hedgehog! Nim chanted the words of a necromantic ritual, siphoning away some of his own life force to restore the dwarf to rude health.

My most wise and honourable grandmother decided that the most efficient way to reach the bottom tier would be to let gravity do the hard work for her. Giving herself a good run up, Sosha leaped into space, trusting her powerful calf muscles to propel her safely to her destination. She must have misjudged the distance in the near darkness of the dungeon, for she fell short of her target and splashed into the lowest ring of water. Immediately, four monstrous sea lions converged upon the sorceress and she barely managed to escape before they devoured her!

Sosha spotted a single exit from the room and tried the handle. She felt a sudden stabbing pain in her hand and suddenly her whole body was infused with lethal poison! This would have been the moment for Arston to lay on his hot, sweaty hands – but the noble paladin had wandered off to find a dark corner to pray with himself! Instead, Sosha found herself being nursed by the inept cleric, whose treatment plan was to wait for her to die and then ask his god to bring her back. Sosha pointed out that even if she was revived, her body would still be full of poison and she would die again. To his credit, Poric agreed that this would be a problem. It was not until Sosha was breathing her last, shallow breaths that Poric remembered he had the Lesser Restoration spell prepared and cast that instead. My most honourable grandmother would live! For now.

Nroc broke down the trapped door and the party piled into a lavishly furnished cell. Aromatic smoke wafting from a massive hookah barely masked the reek of unwashed Halfling wafting from the unwashed Halfling chained to the wall. The prisoner introduced himself as Welby and explained that he had been imprisoned for orchestrating a failed coup against the evil lord of White Plume Mountain. Most of the party took this story at face value and began unchaining the Halfling. Only my most wise and honourable grandmother remembered that the last Halfling(s) the group had encountered had turned out to be demonic slaad! At length, Nim argued that the mathematical likelihood of encountering another Halfling who was not a Halfing was statistically unlikely.

Sosha and her allies returned to the room with the canoes. Before placing themselves at the mercy of the mysterious current, Wang and Welby decided to scout ahead. Sosha cast a spell that enabled them both to fly and they jetted off to investigate. A few minutes later, Wang returned alone, bloodied and near death!! As Nroc trickled a potion of healing into his mouth, the monk described an ambush by armoured men with heavy nets and wicked spears. When he attempted to flee, he had been struck from above with monstrous force. Wang had not got a good look at his assailant, such had been his desperation to save his own skin. Nor had he thought to check if Welby had gotten away, not until Sosha asked after the missing Halfling and it turned out that he hadn’t. Nim contacted their new friend with a Message spell and established that Welby was alive, but captured. Although they had only known Welby for ten minutes, Sosha and her friends decided they could not leave the Halfling to his fate and with grim determination, they boarded the canoes and set out to rescue the little fellow.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by mikeawmids.

White Plume Mountain 6 years 1 month ago #2700

• mikeawmids

It was a most peculiar convoy that set sail along that magic, underground river. In the first kayak appeared an illusory image of the wizard Nim, intended as a target to draw the first volley of hostile fire. In the second vessel rode the real wizard Nim and my most honourable grandmother. Poric and Nroc paddled along in the third little boat and Wang clung unseen to the underside of the fourth, having imbibed Sosha’s potion of water breathing. Arston decided he would sit this battle out and wished his companions good fortune as they set off to rescue the Halfling Welby.

As the kayak bearing my most honourable grandmother emerged from the other end of the dark, dank tunnel, a heavy net was immediately tossed over her head! A mob of heavily armoured humanoids stood arrayed along the length of the floating river, led by a towering figure in crimson platemail. Fortunately, the companions had anticipated this gambit! Nim uttered a word of power and polymorphed my most honourable grandmother into a dragon! The mighty beast broke free of her hempen cage as easily as she would the strands of a spider’s web and turned her draconic fury upon her enemies! A blast of crackling lightning leapt from her toothy maw and vaporised three of the wicked knights where they stood! In retaliation, the remaining knights swarmed over the dragon, hacking at her scaly hide with their heavy claymores. Unable to take flight in the cramped confines of the cavern, Dragon-Sosha could do little but weather their blows whilst she charged up another devastating breath attack. Unfortunately, she never got the chance. Bellowing challenge, the giant in red armour buried his greatsword in Dragon-Sosha’s flank and the magic failed. Clutching her wound, my most honourable grandmother fell to her knees, helpless before her executioner as he lined up his next strike to sever her head…. When she retold this part of her story, my most honourable grandmother was never able to determine if what happened next was of her own will, or by design of the sorcerous tattoo inked onto her flesh. Calling upon the red dragon blood in her veins, Sosha summoned a raging ball of fire, engulfing herself and her would-be murderer in gluttonous flames! The armoured giant was thrown back, injured but alive. One of his minions was less fortunate and was incinerated in the sorcerous blaze. Sosha herself collapsed, singed and dying.

While the knights had been distracted with the dragon, Wang hurried over to the prone form of the captured Halfling and set to loosening his bonds. Welby repaid the monk’s kindness by stabbing him in the back… literally! Wang stared down in horror at the metre of bloody metal protruding from his chest! Unknown to him, the treacherous Halfling had resumed his true form – that of an ogre mage – the moment Wang turned away to rejoin the fray. Wang screamed as his tormentor twisted the blade upon which he was now most painfully impaled. Great as my distaste for that larcenous ruffian may be, I cannot help but cringe when I imagine him at the mercy of that evil oni. Thankfully, Wang slipped into blessed unconsciousness long before the ogre tired of playing with his food.

Witnessing the monk’s plight from across the battlefield, Poric closed his eyes, uttered a quiet prayer to his long-suffering deity and banished the ogre mage from this plane of existence. A pair of knights advanced on the distracted cleric, but Poric raised his hands and blasted them both with a cone of radiant energy! However bright the flame of his piety, it could not withstand the ferocity of his foes and Poric too succumbed to his wounds and lay dying below the magic river.

The wizard Nim found himself fighting in the frontline - never a comfortable place for a spellcaster to be! Latching onto one of his armoured foes like a furry pink limpet, the tenacious gnome found a chink in the knight’s armour and began leeching the man’s life energy to replenish his own, whilst firing off offensive spells like fireworks at a dwarven wedding. His parasitical tactics enabled Nim to survive in the thick of it for far longer than his enemies could credit, but eventually the wizard fell.

Only Nroc was left standing, his companions strewn about him either dead or dying. With a wordless cry, the dwarf struck Whelm against the floor of the cavern with such force as to knock his enemies off their feet. As the giant in red armour struggled to rise, Nroc stepped over and knocked his head clean off his shoulders! The last few knights fell upon the exhausted bard, cutting him down as he stood over the decapitated body of their master.

I do not know what happened next, for neither my most honourable grandmother nor any of her companions were alive to witness it. I once overheard Nim speak of a powerful enchantment placed upon the party, to monitor their life force and teleport them to safety in the event that they were overcome in battle. That sounds like a cheap cop-out to me, but then I am no practitioner of the arts most arcane. Although my most honourable grandmother had never expected to wake again, when her eyelids did crack, she discovered herself safely returned to the city of Waterdeep, ensconced in the sanctuary of their gold skinned benefactor. Strens Versi gave each member of the fellowship a rare, magical elixir and they soon felt even stronger and more able than ever before. This was well, for despite their failure under White Plume Mountain, the golden mage was not yet finished with Sosha and her friends….

White Plume Mountain 6 years 1 month ago #2738

• mikeawmids

After recovering from their misadventure beneath White Plume Mountain, Sosha and her companions were faced with the most daunting challenge of their careers, dinner with the aristocracy. Despite their failure to recover all three stolen artefacts, the party had fared better than any of the other groups dispatched to the dungeon and the mysterious Lords of Waterdeep had taken an interest in their exploits. Strens Versi spent the next two days drilling the rudiments of social etiquette into the party, confiscating Porin’s dagger after the boorish cleric demonstrated how he could use the blade to skewer finger food at the buffet. After struggling for several hours to teach the heroes to dance, the Golden Man gave up and just cast a dancing spell on them instead.

After an uncomfortable few hours hobnobbing with the upper crust, Sosha and her allies were ushered into a private room where they met three members of the cities masked council. Midway through the audience, Nroc leapt from his seat and tackled a cutlery thieving servant before he could make off with some valuable spoons. Wang took advantage of this distraction to make off with some valuable spoons. Suddenly, a second servant produced an evil looking wand and invited ten summoned beholders to the banquet! Sosha prepared to blast the gazing horrors with sorcerous fire, when Arston cried out. These were no true beholders, they were highly volatile gas spores! Detonating one would set off a chain reaction that would likely kill everyone in the room! Thankfully, Sosha dampened the flames of her fiery rage. The wizard Nim cracked a window and the gas spores drifted out into the night sky.

Who was this malevolent intruder and how had he bypassed the wards placed around the palace? These questions troubled the Golden Man deeply and he dispatched the fellowship to meet with his agent Ruby. Ruby explained that an interplanar alliance of giants and dragons threatened the people of Waterdeep. She had tracked several emissaries of this terrible army and allowed the party to choose which group they would target; a powerful frost giant or a band of hill giants. Sosha and her allies elected to take on the solitary frost giant.

The party reached the edge of an unnatural snowfield. Nim suggested that the unseasonably cold weather was a direct result of the frost giant’s proximity. My most honourable grandmother cast fly upon Wang, Porin and herself and the three flew ahead to scout. Unfortunately, the giant saw them coming, hauled a massive rock out of the ground and hurled it towards the approaching heroes. Wang and Porin twisted out of harm’s way, but my most honourable grandmother was too cumbersome in the air and was knocked out of the sky! Her concentration wavered and both Wang and Porin also found themselves plummeting towards the ground. Suddenly, the snowfield below was alive with frost wolves! The three heroes plunged toward the sea of slathering jaws!
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds