Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R6 2019 (RotRL) Spires of Xin Shalast

R6 2019 (RotRL) Spires of Xin Shalast 4 years 5 months ago #4358

• mikeawmids
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
Spires of Xin Shalast – Week 1 / Part 2

While the goblin crew dock/crash Everstill into Wolf's Ear, the party disembark and race to intercept the marauding orcs. Asha calls down a pillar of radiant flame, scattering the horde. The Faresight twins hunker down behind a low stone wall and pick off any raiders straying from the herd. One of the two giants peels off to deal with the heroes. Karack climbs a tree and leaps at the brute, driving Teraktinus - the giant slaying spear - through the giants head. The first wave of foes are decimated, but the main body of the orc host have reached the town.

The party head into Wolf's Ear, hot on the heels off the pillaging orcs. The townsfolk have barricaded themselves inside the temple of Erastil. The orc warchief hacks at the temple doors with a massive axe. The second hill giant spots the heroes and hurls a wagon in their general direction. The Faresight twins roll clear and return fire. Asha waves her hand and a flaming blade scythes across the street, severing the giant's legs. The top half crawls away to die.

Karack hears a scream and interrupts a trio of orcs in the middle of widowing a young woman. Karack slays the raiders and gives a healing potion to her wounded husband, saving his life.

The orcs break through the temple doors and swarm over the barricade. The Faresight twins rush to aid the helpless villagers. The orc warchief guards the threshold. He swings at Aeleana, the axe cuts deep and injures grievously. Aeleana screams. Forbin frowns and fires two arrows into the warchief's skull, killing him dead. The warchief collapses against the barricade, twitching spasmodically. Asha heals Aeleana's wounds.

Meanwhile, Karack runs through the graveyard adjacent to the temple. A few more orcs pop up from behind the headstones. Karack makes short work of them and crashes into the temple via a side door. A group of human villagers cower behind the altar, beneath the bow-like holy symbol of Erastil. Clad in the distinctive dyed leather of the Black Arrows, two old friends cross blades with a half dozen howling orcs.

"Ben?!" Karack exclaimed.

"Karack!?" Ben Kotek cried.

"Karack?!" shrieked Shalelu, "Look out!!"

Too slow, Karack twists aside as an arrow scrapes across his leathery hide. A second Shalelu - the one who has been with the party since leaving Sandpoint - stands behind him. She tosses her bow aside and sighs.

"How unlucky can a girl be?" the imposter pouts, "What are the odds of bumping into you here?"

"Who are you?!" Karack demanded.

"Catch me and maybe I'll tell you."

Not-Shalelu turns to dash away through the graveyard. What promises to be an educational foray into the new chase rules is cut short as Asha casts Sloth on the imposter. Aeleana decides that exposition is for chumps and slashes Not-Shalelu's throat. As the imposter dies, she reverts to her true form, that of the succubus Delphine, who the party last saw leaving Runeforge to hook up with Runelord Karzoug.

"I'm sorry Master," the succubus whispers, as her body crumbles into smouldering ash, "I have failed...."

Despite their victory over the orcs, Karack is despondent. He had believed Shaelu wanted to be with him, now he realises it was all a ruse to get him alone and drain his vitality through kinky demon sex. At least there's still the chance of rekindling his relationship with the real Shalelu....

"I'm sorry, Karack," Shalelu says, reaching to take Ben's hand, "I've found someone else. You were always off dungeon crawling with your adventuring bros and I had needs that weren't being met. They call you Goblinhero, but I needed a hero too."

A single tear rolls down Karack's scaly cheek. Maybe he should just accept his destiny and marry a nice goblin girl. Snot does have a sister....

It's too dangerous to stay in Wolf's Ear with orcs and giants roaming unchecked. The townsfolk are herded onto Everstill and shipped to Sandpoint, where they will be safe. The heroes will continue into the Kodar mountains on foot.

TBC
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by mikeawmids.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R6 2019 (RotRL) Spires of Xin Shalast 4 years 5 months ago #4359

• mikeawmids
Rules clarifications, feel free to discuss.

SMITE: the power targets weapons, not characters, so if you swap weapons after the spell is cast on you, you lose the bonus. If you want to spend extra Power Points to effect additional targets, you'll need to consider how many of their weapons will be effected. The Smite power does not grant a damage bonus to spell damage (ie: bolt/blast).

RATE OF FIRE: When Forbin uses his first attack to fire 2 arrows, the -2 recoil penalty should be in effect. The +1 bonus for the Marksman edge is not applied if two arrows are being fired.

R6 2019 (RotRL) Spires of Xin Shalast 4 years 5 months ago #4360

• Andrek
  • Elite Member
Re Smite, I realised that later. Smite is cast on a specific weapon, not a person. I am not sure it should be possible to use it with offensive spells, either, but the rules aren't specific about this.

R6 2019 (RotRL) Spires of Xin Shalast 4 years 5 months ago #4361

• mikeawmids
If someone was using a Weird Science device, lie a blaster pisol, to cast Bolt, I think Smite would add to the damage, because you're casting the spell on a weapon.

Otherwise, I'm gonna' rule that Smite does not add to spell damage, unless unique and specific spell trappings are in place.

R6 2019 (RotRL) Spires of Xin Shalast 4 years 5 months ago #4363

• mikeawmids
NEW HOUSE RULE: If you roll unskilled, a normal failure is treated as a critical failure. This is to discourage every man jack around the table rolling on the off chance their dice explode and stealing the thunder from a character who has put advancement points into that skill.

I'm not saying you can't roll. Just be prepared for the consequences if you fail.

Also, it seems Vic will not be well enough to join us, so I have one spare seat at the table for a player willing to take on his character, Grogg the Smasher.
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by mikeawmids.

R6 2019 (RotRL) Spires of Xin Shalast 4 years 5 months ago #4366

• Andrek
  • Elite Member
Can someone still spend a benny to re-roll, unless they get snake eyes? If not this is harsh. If someone needs to use a skill they aren't trained in to escape some terrible consequence then this could be very bad.
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds