Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R1 game panic - noob DM?

R1 game panic - noob DM? 7 years 2 months ago #1833

• Sprite_goblin89
Ok, as a follow on from Mike's post, I was concerned that another game hasn't been put up. I assumed that more would come up closer to the time but I'm not sure that's going to happen!

As a result, I was considering throwing my hat into the ring as a D&D DM until someone capable of the position comes along. I've played only one game with some great guys who held my hand through most of campaign, so there will be a lot of guiding me through DMing also. I have no gear to DM, including no books or bestiaries or playmats , it would literally be me finding something online and us playing that through.

I'll expand - I'm the least capable in the club to do this, barely know the rules as it is, so if anyone wants to take over my position they're free to it. However, if there is any interest, it will be extremely casual, fumbly and without access to any DM gear unless someone in the party doesn't mind lending it to me on game day?

Tl;dr: I'll volunteer as a DM if you guys are happy to have a complete amateur and to suffer a poorly run game.

5e D&D
No dual classing - yet
Prob 5 maximum

Any input is welcome!

EDIT:

venture: N00b panic! (Mines of phandelver)
System: D&D.5
Ref: spritegoblin
Level: 1
New Characters: Yes
Number of Players: 5
Confirmed players: Shane, callum
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Sprite_goblin89. Reason: Sp
The topic has been locked.

R1 game panic - noob DM? 7 years 2 months ago #1834

• mikeawmids
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
Good for you Conner, GMing can be great fun. Way to jump in at the deep end. :D

I can loan you the DM guide and Bestiary for D&D.5. In fact, you're welcome to borrow the intro adventure 'Mines of Phandelver', which is easy to run and a great adventure to boot. Everything you need to run 4+ weeks of adventure in a magazine-sized booklet.

Also playmat, dry-erase markers and colored pawns - all the crap I had in that box last rotation.

Ideally, you want to edit the following text block and copy it into your opening post (I've filled in a few of the categories for you). :p

Adventure: N00b panic!
System: D&D.5
Ref: spritegoblin
Level: 1
New Characters: Yes
Number of Players: ?
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by mikeawmids.

R1 game panic - noob DM? 7 years 2 months ago #1835

• Sprite_goblin89
My goodness Mike, you're a saint. Only if that is all ok with you? The guides would be brill and the pawns etc if you're ok to lend?
Actually, all of the above! Honestly dude, it would be an honour to GM under your blessed instruments!

I genuinely didn't expect I'd end up in this situation but, hey, I guess there's a game going now!

For those (silly lot) of you that are ok with it, and you want to join the game, I cannot 100% guarantee I'll be there for multiple weeks on the trot due to work. It hasn't been an issue so far since joining the BCRPS, but a new term at school means new things get dropped on us all the time. You'll always know well in advance and I have no issues with anyone taking over the mantle for the weeks I'm away.

So I suppose I'll go edit that post! You brace, poor souls.
Conner

R1 game panic - noob DM? 7 years 2 months ago #1838

• Gekz
  • New Character!
  • Fight Together, Die Alone
Sounds good and interesting, Sign me up and one other rival of yours :P
Current MTG Decks - Pummelers Demise, Lillianas Wrath, White Weeny, Just Another Shrine.

R1 game panic - noob DM? 7 years 2 months ago #1840

• Sprite_goblin89
So in the interests of time, I'll bring some PRE-GEN characters from WOTC (found here media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/StarterSet_Characters.pdf ) . You DO NOT need to use these, they are there as a time saver!
I've made a name for each, but I know that's personal so that's been left blank for you to add your own in if you want. The backstories are PREGEN also, so feel free to pull them apart and make your own. The second page of each character has some suggested leveling traits, but again, I will not expect you to follow these, they're yours to tinker with or follow as you wish.
Ignore the negative number on the INITIATIVE, I'll not be playing disavantaged characters before you've had a chance to run them, but other skills will have the negative applied as written! Alignment is also included, but again, it's not set in stone!

PREGEN Characters:
They feature a Human Fighter - Doban Harkness - LN - Noble (pg1-2)
A Dwarven Cleric - Omahan Khank - NG - Soldier (pg3-4)
Halfling Rogue - Hasbee Hunt - N - Criminal (pg5-6)
Elf Wizard - Dreyfoos Whispweave - CG - Acolyte (pg7-8)
Human Fighter 2 - Raymar Cleftjaw - LG - Folk Hero (9-10)

If one of these takes your fancy, please declare in the topic!

My intention is to have a relatively campaign-unrelated initial skirmish, meant to last only 1 sitting, but it may very well go into 2 sittings if needed. We will then start on the Mines campaign. The reasoning is to fine out any initial issues you guys have with my GMing and to make sure I'm making the game fun, well paced and that encounters are run properly!

I'll be updating more stuff soon.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Sprite_goblin89. Reason: link

R1 game panic - noob DM? 7 years 2 months ago #1841

• fruitviking
  • Tenth Level
I would like to join this game if there is still space. Well done Conner for wanting to give DMing a go!
Moderators: mikeawmids, Andy Boyne
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds