Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Too many continuation games?

Too many continuation games? 6 years 8 months ago #2318

• Andrek
  • Elite Member
Hi Everybody,

Thank You Viggi, for clearly and accurately describing the process by which the current rotation system was originally implemented, and your intelligent and eloquent analysis of the current situation.

My previous experience of clubs like these is that, technically, for any changes to be made, an emergency meeting would be called, and any proposed changes to club rules would be presented to the membership, discussed and put to the vote.
These procedures are usually described in the clubs constitution. Although, I have never seen the BCRPS constitution, I suspect that it is no different in this regard.

If this procedure seems overly formal, it is actually not that much different to the club vote that Mike suggested earlier.

Mike, I think that your suggestion of a 6/12 week rotation is worth consideration, and I would support this idea.
I disagree slightly with the details about continuation. I think that no more than two continuation games be allowed in any 6-week subrotation. Of course Twelve week games would span both subrotations. All these games could not be resubmitted until after the following 12 weeks.
This could be with any combination of six and twelve week games.

In any twelve week rotation, assuming all the spaces were filled, the possible combinations would be:~

Both Twelve week games (One Twelve Week Continuation Game x 2)

All Six Week Games (One Six Week continuation game (subrotation a), One six week Continuation game (subrotation b)) x 2

One of Each.(One Twelve Week Continuation Game + One Six Week continuation game (subrotation a), One six week Continuation game (subrotation b))
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Andrek.
The topic has been locked.

Too many continuation games? 6 years 8 months ago #2320

• mikeawmids
  • Platinum Member
  • Sadly, life can't be all gimps and mayonnaise.
Andrek wrote:
In any twelve week rotation, assuming all the spaces were filled, the possible combinations would be:~

Both Twelve week games (One Twelve Week Continuation Game x 2)

All Six Week Games (One Six Week continuation game (subrotation a), One six week Continuation game (subrotation b)) x 2

One of Each.(One Twelve Week Continuation Game + One Six Week continuation game (subrotation a), One six week Continuation game (subrotation b))

I AM CONFUZZLED!!!
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by mikeawmids.

Too many continuation games? 6 years 8 months ago #2322

• Andrek
  • Elite Member
Hi Mike

Imagine there are two tables for continuation games. Each one can either host (a) a twelve week game or (b) two consecutive six week games, that's it!

All the games then have to wait twelve weeks before they can be resubmitted.

Too many continuation games? 6 years 8 months ago #2323

• Inept
  • Platinum Member
guys
this is rapidly becoming a bit silly.

the two key issues raised are:
  • game size
  • continuations.
in my view game size will solve the majority of the concerns as it beds in.

in order to get change we DO NOT have a constitution or an elected executive. the only option is to raise it at a club night and get an agreement. failing that we can do it organically (my preference) by encouraging DM's to limit group size for future rotations. simpler and less problematic. I don't believe anyone wants to form a committee or write the constitution therefore this is the only way.
Red Wine should always be opened and allowed to breathe....

if it doesn't apply mouth to bottle resuscitation.

Too many continuation games? 6 years 8 months ago #2325

• Sant
  • Platinum Member
Ill throw in my twopence worth i guess, from a relatively newish members point of view.

It seems that (from what was said before) that the club started because groups of friends wanted to RP together in a nice setting that has beer. The club grew and more folks joined, found new friends and played with them (no sniggering at the back). All was happy.. Then it got bigger....

Now the original purpose of the club i assume was just what i mentioned.. which really doesn't bring in the need to 'mix things up' at all.. maybe certain groups of players and gms are just happy to stick together, and i think that should be respected, folks I'm guessing do not perhaps want to 'spread their love', and this IMO is fine too..

The question is, does the club want to grow? What purpose apart from guaranteeing a subs flow does growing achieve? If you decide that more members is good (because more players and GMs is good for the general hobby and widening our whole experience) then new players need to be 'catered' for. An unknown player turns up and whilst they probably know they cannot demand a game, I would like to think that someone would help them and introduce them to games and try to accommodate them as best as possible, or explain to them why this can't happen.. for me, i luckilyor not got introduced to Sarge and a small group of fab players who made me feel very welcome. I'm not suggesting this doesn't happen, but it should be a priority 'if the club wants to grow'. Now this whole growing thing relates somewhat to this discussion.

The rotation system as it is for me felt like a bit of a lottery, and thankfully someone did a nameless gameless post and kinda fixed things for a few weeks...Most games get snapped up super quick by (and im dangerously assuming here) friends of each other at the club, this, of course is fine, why shouldn't they?.. BUT if 'the club wants to grow' and keep it's members 'happy' etc etc then the length of rotations isn't really the issue, it all boils down to the number of GMs willing to run shit, and the number of players available or wanting. Personally i don't like more than 4 people in a pnp game, 5 at a push, hardly ever 6, BUT that depends on the players, if you know everyone, fine up the numbers, if they are strangers, i want to run something for a tight small group so i can get to know them and spread the DM love evenly.

So in summary.. Play with who the f##@% you like for as long as you like but make sure there's enough games running to keep all players involved... Incoming DM/GM directory perhaps..

Lots of love

Ade

Too many continuation games? 6 years 7 months ago #2372

• moc
  • Elite Member
Hey... Why don't we really shake things up.. Have the GM with let's say 5 slots...
Everyone gets a number and gets randomly drawn into one of the games?
Kinda lottery.. Might be fun just for one rotation?
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds