Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Children of Fear

The Children of Fear 10 months 20 hours ago #6790

• Garuda
  • Platinum Member
CHILDREN OF FEAR

Starting in Peking, September 1923, Children of Fear is an Asia-based adventure. It begins with each of you receiving an invitation from a Professor Wang Enlai (Chinese national) to attend a talk entitled A Long Road to Travel: From Srinagar to Sian in the Footsteps of My Forebears, at Peking University presented by a photojournalist, Mr Sofian Bazaz-Wain (Indian national). Though you may or may not know of Bazaz-Wain, you certainly know of Professor Wang. Wang may be a personal friend, a colleague, an occasional acquaintance, or maybe just somebody you’ve only heard of - in the latter case perhaps the institution you work for has passed the invite on to you to attend on their behalf.

It is not necessary for any of the investigators to know each other prior to the adventure. You will be introduced to each other at Bazaz-Wain’s presentation. If you live abroad, then you'll need to receive your invitation well in advance of the event to give you plenty of travelling time to reach Peking. You may wonder though, why Wang has invited you to travel half way across the world to attend what sounds like a mildly interesting at best (to put in kindly) presentation.

Wang Enlai is 52 years of age – he is spry and dresses in western suits. Wang is a learned historian with a love of poetry and legend. He is the Director of the American School of Archaeology at Yenching University, Peking having taken over from the previous incumbent, Langdon Warner, in 1917. The professor is quietly working towards establishing Chinese control over the country’s ancient artefacts – determined they’ll be preserved for future generations of the people, rather than seeing such treasures be sent abroad. He is a well-respected and likeable fellow. Yenching University was formed by the amalgamation of three Christian teaching colleges in 1919 under the leadership of Dr. John Leighton Stuart. Yenching also has ties to Harvard University, USA.

Some Character Ideas

Nationalities and Diplomats: Other than choosing to be a Chinese national you could be any nationality at all. For ideas- Peking in 1923 has a melting pot of nationalities living in the city. The population of Russians has swelled in recent times as refugees flee the revolution in their country. There is also a well-established diplomatic presence of British, French, Italian, German, Japanese and Americans in the city’s Legation Quarter. Any of these may provide a base for diplomats, spies, retired military-types, journalists etc.

Explorers and Researchers: Several international organisations have a presence in Peking and others sponsor a variety of expeditions to China to explore its ancient history (and pillage its ancient sites). Anthropologists, scientists, historians, archaeologists, geologists and even Occultists may be interested in exploring the reputed ruins and seeking the possible treasures of abandoned sites along the Old Silk Road. The Central Asiatic Expedition operated in China (1922-1928) researching human evolution based on the Out of Asia theory. The New York Explorers Club promotes travel to some of the most remote areas in the world. As do The Royal Geographical Society, Acadamie Francaise, the Kӧnigliches Museum Berlin and others - these latter institutes are usually expecting material gains.

Medical types: Doctors, nurses, surgeons and other staff or students may be employed by the American-backed Peking University Medical College.

Clergy: There are numerous missions operating in China.

Entertainers: Shanghai was a popular destination for many western artists and entertainers, but Peking to a lesser extent, attracted these types too: singers, dancers, musicians, actors, artists and photographers.

"Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun" - Capt. E. Blackadder.
Last Edit: 10 months 20 hours ago by Garuda.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The Children of Fear 9 months 4 weeks ago #6791

• Sarge
A basic concept for my character is:

Prof. Wei Chen
American Born Chinese
Associate Professor: Asian Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
Harvard University

The Children of Fear 9 months 4 weeks ago #6792

• JIm
  • Heroic Character
Basic idea for me is :

The Reverend (apparently that’s what you call seminarians) Vincenzo Manzo

Known as Vinny to his friends.

A young Italian seminarian, not yet a priest, on a sabbatical to the far east. With a fascination with the far east and the ancient history. Doubtful of his place in the world, not sure what path he really should be taking. A bit wild, and can be quick to anger before he remembers his holy calling.

The Children of Fear 9 months 4 weeks ago #6793

• Sarge
A bit more info on Wei Chen:

He works on early and medieval Chinese literature and thought, with a focus on poetry, poetics, and anecdotal writings. He has published various books, articles and essays, the most recent one being on the poet Du Fu. His current project is a study of poems composed by ghosts in medieval China.

Last Edit: 9 months 4 weeks ago by Sarge.

The Children of Fear 9 months 4 weeks ago #6797

• MellyMel
  • Platinum Member
Balbir Sethi, Sikh Peking Police Captain, Ex British Army,

A dominating presence Balbir has seen it all. Originally from Amritsar in the Punjab, he has travelled extensively, fought in two wars and many, many battles. Recently completed five years training and moulding group of young sikh police officers and is ready for the next stage of his career.

The Children of Fear 9 months 4 weeks ago #6798

• Garuda
  • Platinum Member
Loving the concepts.
"Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun" - Capt. E. Blackadder.
Moderators: Andy Boyne, mikeawmids
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds